Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs?

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
The picture shows recent damage to a "Burning Bush" shrub from mineral laden well water. We have been pumping this well for the last 45 years to irrigate about a half acre of fescue and trees. The water has always had a tendency to cause minor discoloration and damage to trees and shrubs in spite of the very fine mesh filter but not usually this severe.

The south wind was catching the sprinkler spray plus the head was leaning slightly is why the damage extends up so high on the shrub. I've corrected that by straightening up the head and reducing the pressure in that zone.

The rest of the story: We recently added zone valves along with the controller to automate the underground system and, in doing so, replaced the filter with one that has a much coarser screen. I'm wondering if, over the years, the very fine filter which is in the area of 100 to 200 mesh, has been backflushing minerals back into the well every time the pump shuts off. There is no foot valve or pressure tank, just direct feed from the submersible pump.

Is it feasible that this backflushing had created a high concentration of minerals in the well that was added to every time the pump cycled? Then, when the new coarse filter replaced the old fine one, this high concentration of harmful minerals was suddenly released into the system and "burned" the bush.

Attachments

• WELL-WATER-1.jpg
    WELL-WATER-1.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 180
   / Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #2  
Wow. I’ve never seen water do that kind of damage to trees.

So, does the damage happen even if the water does not come into contact with the foliage? If you made sure the water just goes into the ground will this damage still occur?

MoKelly

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs?
The damage only seems to occur when the spray comes into contact with the foliage. It also leaves a white film over time on anything else it comes into contact with such as grass, landscaping bricks, mailbox etc.

I don't recall ever seeing damage this severe to a shrub and that is why I suspect the high concentration of minerals in the well being released suddenly after years of filter backflushing.

Edit: I suspect the minerals also have a harmful effect on the soil over the years. We have a lot of limestone in this area know as "post rock country".

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #4  
Other than the first week or two after planting a new one, I haven't watered a tree, bush, flower or lawn in close to 20 years now. I get them started, then let them acclimate and grow naturally. I haven't lost a single one to being too dry.

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #5  
check the PH. my neighbors well does this also. they can only use it on the lawn, and only on a wide fescue grass.

Other than the first week or two after planting a new one, I haven't watered a tree, bush, flower or lawn in close to 20 years now. I get them started, then let them acclimate and grow naturally. I haven't lost a single one to being too dry.
You must live in a favorable climate with decent annual rainfall.

check the PH. my neighbors well does this also. they can only use it on the lawn, and only on a wide fescue grass.
Yes, I need to get a test done on the well water as well as the soil.

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #8  
You must live in a favorable climate with decent annual rainfall.

haha. fixed for some of us.

you must live in a favorable climate with rainfall more than once or twice a month.

just checked and last measurable rain here was june 27. so its been more than a month.

I'm still wondering about the theory of a high mineral concentrations from years of buildup in the well being suddenly released damaging the shrub. Could the years of backflushing accumulate in the well field?

/ Lawn Irrigation Water Damaging Trees and Shrubs? #10  
has been backflushing minerals back into the well every time the pump shuts off. [...]

Is it feasible that this backflushing had created a high concentration of minerals in the well that was added to every time the pump cycled? Then, when the new coarse filter replaced the old fine one, this high concentration of harmful minerals was suddenly released into the system and "burned" the bush.
Can you explain this backflushing system?
Why does it backflush into the well? That doesn't sound too good to me - you should pretty much only take out of the well, not put anything back in it*. I have a sediment filter which gets backflushed automatically, but it just waters a couple very happy trees (and chickens who've learned where and when this happens) with the backflush.

*: obviously you had to put a pump in it; and occasionally some may shock if necessary with chlorine, but I've never heard of stuff being dumped back into a well