Leaking cylinder JD 950

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #1  

techone2k

Tractor
John Deer 950
I just bought a JD950. Please help me learn how to repair the leaking cylinder? I'm retired, really great shade tree mechanic. I've repaired vehicles since I was big enough to misplace my father's tools.

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #3  
I just bought a JD950. Please help me learn how to repair the leaking cylinder? I'm retired, really great shade tree mechanic. I've repaired vehicles since I was big enough to misplace my father's tools.
They are not that hard to do gland spins on or has wire that holds sometimes need a spanner wrench
Just look at it be careful though some have little set screws to hold it but pretty basic stuff
And if you have a good oring seal place nearby can get you all the parts Or get kit from dealer
Unless you have money to burn then just take it shop
Have a great day

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #4  
Which cylinder is leaking?

If you check out the JD site, they will have a parts listing for your tractor. That should give you an exploded view of the cylinder, and will help you determine what parts you may need, and how they all go together.

If its a power steering cylinder, you would look up under 950. If its a loader cylinder, you will need to look it up under your loader model (Probably a 75 or a 70A)

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #5  
I have one machine that is so old the cylinder components from the dealer are NLA,,
I took the cylinder to a hydraulics shop,,
they rebuilt the cylinder for less than the OEM parts would have cost, had they been available..

So, I lucked out, and actually saved $$$ as compared to DIY,,

Don't be surprised of the 950 parts are NLA,, I have a 650, and worry about parts.
It never needs anything, but, you never know,,,

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #6  
Unless it is the 3pt hitch lift cylinder (internal), you will pay much less to take the cylinder off the tractor and take it to a general hydraulic repair shop. They have the needed parts right there.

Ask your local tractor or hearvy equipment dealer where the local hydraulic shop is. They are usually in the same industrial area or nearby. Often a one man shop or just a few guys working. No office, no publicity, Mechanics know where to find them & it isn't worth hiring someone to sit at a front desk.

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #7  
Assuming you mean a loader cylinder, and it's either a 52 or 70 loader, the parts should still be available. I rebuilt two cylinders on my model 52 loader of similar vintage, was a pretty easy job for a home shop mechanic.

/ Leaking cylinder JD 950 #8  
I ordered seals from JD. I had what I needed and could put things back together quickly. Spanner to take off gland nut. A big socket or wrench to take of the nut on the rod. I did both sides. If one failed, the other probably is close to failing. Take pictures as you take it apart. Just 3-5 should give you enough clue about how to put back together. Adam Boothe abom79 on youtube has some videos of rebuilds.