Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage?

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage? #1  

yekrut

Silver Member
Tractor
Bolens (Iseki Deisel) G214
I'd like to put an addition off the side of a 2 door unattached 24x24 garage. The side I can use already has a concrete slab. The slab is currently a turn-a-round that's part or a 44 yrd. concrete pour the connects this garage with my attached garage. My issue is span. The slab is 18' from the side off the garage and runs back about 16'. I would like to put post at the 18' or 20' just off the slab and put t-111 on the side an back and leave the front open. Is this distance to great? The pitch will be as little as possible so I can keep as much headroom as I can. Would 18' or 20' 2x6s 12" apart handle the roof load. Have a metal roof on the garage and would like to match it. Am I crazy?

Thanks

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage? #2  
There are published span tables for this. I took a really quick look
Span Tables | Southern Pine Council™ | 1-504-443-4464
Looks to me like 2 x 10 on 12 " centers. Watch the snow load. Not sure about flat. But 20' 2x 10 heavy. and you will have to really pick through the pile to find good ones. You also could look at TJI's They are wood I beams cost more but way lighter and are exactly the same no matter how long. There are tables for them also looks like 9.5 on 16" centers
I tried to attach a .pdf for the TJI but too big Look it up search tji rafters or spans

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage?
6sunset6 said:
There are published span tables for this. I took a really quick look
Span Tables | Southern Pine Council™ | 1-504-443-4464
Looks to me like 2 x 10 on 12 " centers. Watch the snow load. Not sure about flat. But 20' 2x 10 heavy. and you will have to really pick through the pile to find good ones. You also could look at TJI's They are wood I beams cost more but way lighter and are exactly the same no matter how long. There are tables for them also looks like 9.5 on 16" centers
I tried to attach a .pdf for the TJI but too big Look it up search tji rafters or spans

Thanks a bunch. Will do.

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage? #4  
If your addition is going in parallel to the ridge, you can gain a lot of headroom by starting at the top. This will give you a bit more slope. Extend the wall nearest the addition and basically make it a straight run.

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage? #5  
starting higher up on the roof will give you more head room and depth for a parrel sissor mono truss that will span that at about the same cost of the 2x8 or 2x10's youll need.

you mention OH ...what part?

most of OH is 20-25psf but I have customers running 30 and if your up by the lake it can go WAY up

/ Lean to span off ad 24x24 garage? #6  
I've added to my shed using 24 foot "Z" bar from metal roof system and 4x4 treated posts. Got metal roof from salvage yard, not all the same color or gauge but grooves all match. With this metal roof my pitch is very slight. Rafters 4 foot center, 2x4 runners approx 3 foot centers.
Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• backshedadd.jpg
    backshedadd.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,478
  • Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,093