Leaning Fence Post Remediation

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
I have wooden corner and end posts all over my property that are leaning. The fences were perfect when I bought this place several years ago but apparently the installation was lacking for our expansive soil, and every post under any side stress is leaning. I want to fix this problem without disconnecting the wire and spreading my problems down the line.

The solution I am contemplating is to disconnect just the bottom wire and dig out around the posts with the backhoe except the side with the tension, and once I have done that, tilt the post back vertical, re-tensioning the entire fence line in the process, and then pour concrete into the hole. I can install temporary guy wires to hold the tension until the concrete is cured. I'm also considering driving some big nails or screws into the post below ground level to give the concrete something to hang on to since the post will only have concrete on 3 sides (i.e., not the tension side).

Has anyone done something like this? If so, how did it work out? Other ideas?

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #2  
Not knowing the length or area we're talking about, I've been able to do similar on small wooden fences without digging. Rigged up a winch to pull the top of the post to plumb, then set rocks on the weak side and drove them down with a sledge.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #3  
How many posts? Sounds to me that you may be fighting this for years as more of them lean over time. Hope that isn't the case but maybe re-doing the whole fence might be the right way. I am sure you don't need that advice though. :stirthepot:

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation
Not knowing the length or area we're talking about, I've been able to do similar on small wooden fences without digging. Rigged up a winch to pull the top of the post to plumb, then set rocks on the weak side and drove them down with a sledge.

I actually did that at a friends house two weeks with his front gate post. It's only been a couple of weeks but it HAS been raining constantly and it's still ok, hmmm. Thanks for the idea.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation
How many posts? Sounds to me that you may be fighting this for years as more of them lean over time. Hope that isn't the case but maybe re-doing the whole fence might be the right way. I am sure you don't need that advice though. :stirthepot:

Every friggin post with side tension is leaning, probably a dozen. Apparently they used no concrete. None of our 3 pasture gates latch. The line posts are fine, so I think once I fix this I should be good for years.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #6  
Concrete won't really help in that kind of situation as far as I know. Concrete will help with many situations where you're dealing with up or down forces like a deck or a wooden fence where everything is tied together with more wood. In a corner post pulled sideways by wire, I've seen the concrete lean too. Think power lines ... no concrete around those poles.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #7  
Are the corners braced or just a single post?
A single post will not withstand side tension for long.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #8  
One type.....note the diagonal tension wire also. Screenshot_20181019-154634_Google.jpeg

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #9  
^^ True. Usually what I see on wire fences is three posts at each corner; a larger corner post, then one smaller line post in each direction spaced about 8 or 10 feet from the corner. Then a diagonal post from the top of the corner to the bottom of each line post.

/ Leaning Fence Post Remediation #10  
^^ True. Usually what I see on wire fences is three posts at each corner; a larger corner post, then one smaller line post in each direction spaced about 8 or 10 feet from the corner. Then a diagonal post from the top of the corner to the bottom of each line post.
Exactly, there are several ways to do it, and you can use wood diagonal supports or wire.

The key is having 2 parallel posts that support each other in each direction of pull. So for a 90 degree corner, 3 posts as you describe work perfectly.