Learning curve on a mini-excavator?

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
We have about a 1/2 acre of land the is overgrown. Land was cleared about 10yrs ago so most of the trees are from 1in to 8in diameter. Soil is sandy loam on top and down to clay beneath. Composition of trees range from maples, winged elm, pines, coppells, etc. I want to selectively clear the pines and other junk trees. The BX25 backhoe is just underclassed to do the job in a timely manner plus having to relocate it over and over.

Was thinking of renting a mini-excavator as it seems to be more powerful and easier to maneuver. Only have weekends and after work now to work the lot so I'm wondering what the learning curve would be on a Bobcat 331 or Kubota KX040. If it is a large learning curve, I would be wasting my time and money trying to do this. Could use some insight from those of you who know better than I.

Thanks,
John

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #2  
You can pretty easily do 1/2 acre clean up in a weekend. Rent a mini that has the same controls as your. BX backhoe and the learning curve will be about 2 hours.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #3  
You should be able to do at least 10x more clearing with the mini excavator than with your BX. Most mini excavators can switch the way the controls work so that you should be able to operate it the same way you do your BX. This would make your learning curve a lot shorter.

I also agree that you should be able to clear your 1/2 acre in a weekend with a mini of the size you indicated.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #4  
Go for it. You will have no problem. Make sure you get one with a thumb. You can push a lot of smaller trees over by getting bucket higher on tree and then just pop the roots out. The thumb works with bucket curl so you can easily move the trees you take down

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #5  
The Kubota's have the switchable pattern lever down by your feet. You can set it like the backhoe and go to town! - only learning will me running he tracks and the power/speed.
I have a KX91 mini and we have a BX25 - the mini can clear 10x faster then the bx, maybe 20x faster. I love our little BX don't get me wrong but they are not even close to being in the same league. ½ acre is doable in a weekend with the small trees you mention. 8" trees are pretty easy - mostly break a few roots and push right over. IF you can get it with a thumb you shouldn't have any problem lifting and stacking them up.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator?
Thanks for the info and encouragement everyone!

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #7  
You haven't mentioned the type of terrain you're going to be using this on.

One thing you do need to be aware of, is that these units can be tippy ... large bucket full of wet dirt or something heavy, with the arms anywhere near, or at, full extension ... on a hillside or un-level ground ... :rolleyes:

You'll likely learn about this when you go to unload the unit off trailer ... might want to have those arms extended out, back towards your tow vehicle ... as you attempt to back down the trailer ramp ... ;)

Do it the other way (arms on the downside of the unit) and you might end up being very surprised at what will happen ... particularly if they are extended.

If you are operating on a hillside, plant the blade on the downhill side to level up the machine as much as possible ... and use caution when rotating ... particularly if you have a full bucket ... or have the arms extended.

Having said all that, Kubota mini-ex's a breeze to operate ... very responsive controls.

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator?
You haven't mentioned the type of terrain you're going to be using this on.

That's a good point. The land is sloped from flat to maybe 10 degrees. For the work part, I should be facing downhill. So, are you saying I should lower the front blade so as to level the unit on all sides?

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #9  
That's a good point. The land is sloped from flat to maybe 10 degrees. For the work part, I should be facing downhill. So, are you saying I should lower the front blade so as to level the unit on all sides?

Yep that helps. Just be careful the trees can and will hurt you if you are careless. Ed

/ Learning curve on a mini-excavator? #10  
Rent a large machine don't fool around with a mini. Also get one with a hydraulic thumb as most of those stumps can be ripped right out of the ground quickly.

I have a 10K lbs. machine of my own and if I was going to do what you are asking just get a larger one and get the job done quickly. Some of those 8 inch stumps take time to dig out even with that size machine.

Good luck, Fred