LEATHERMAN tools

/ LEATHERMAN tools
OP
scaredychicken

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012) pending
my son-in-law has a Leatherman Crunch that he uses all the time. he likes the vice-grip tool particularly. Very cool tool.

so, while I wait to get a Leatherman SURGE ...,

I found a cheap Coleman brand camping / fishing multi-tool. 16 tools in 1, $14.98 Cdn. Thought I'd get started with that one, see how often i'll actually use it, and yes it has a cheap fabric sheath. It will probably stay in the tackle box.

1658973368110.png
this one for now :)

I thought the Coleman brand was superior to the WorkPro brand that WalMart also stocked. That one was a 12 tools in 1, $12.98 Cdn

1658973730759.png

Last edited:
   / LEATHERMAN tools
OP
scaredychicken

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012) pending
I have used my cheap $15 Coleman multi-tool (15 tools) quite regularly in the two weeks since I've had it. Now at least I know that a multi-tool is something that will be valuable to me, and used regularly.

Today, I gave it a real workout. Sadly, the Coleman camping multi-tool was NOT up to the task.

I needed to cut a thin strip of metal / wire (smaller, narrower, thinner than the cutting edge on the Coleman) and I had to assist it by bending, to make the cut. Then I could not open the multi-tool up again, to release the cut thin metal strip. I was out in the back end of the property and I needed about 10 strips - like a 6 inch twist tie. I managed to get the multi-tool pried open each time with the help of my Buck Knife.

Final Score : Buck Knife 9 Coleman multi-tool 0

... saving up for the Leatherman Surge. :)

The Coleman is worth every bit of the $15 Cdn that I paid for it, and I got exactly what I paid for in a cheap temporary option. When I get the Leatherman, this camping unit will find a home in the fishing tackle box. That is where it is meant to be ... it even has a fish hook retrieval tool.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #85  

The Deerslayer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 Former: Kubota L2250
I have used my cheap $15 Coleman multi-tool (15 tools) quite regularly in the two weeks since I've had it. Now at least I know that a multi-tool is something that will be valuable to me, and used regularly.

Today, I gave it a real workout. Sadly, the Coleman camping multi-tool was NOT up to the task.

I needed to cut a thin strip of metal / wire (smaller, narrower, thinner than the cutting edge on the Coleman) and I had to assist it by bending, to make the cut. Then I could not open the multi-tool up again, to release the cut thin metal strip. I was out in the back end of the property and I needed about 10 strips - like a 6 inch twist tie. I managed to get the multi-tool pried open each time with the help of my Buck Knife.

Final Score : Buck Knife 9 Coleman multi-tool 0

... saving up for the Leatherman Surge. :)

The Coleman is worth every bit of the $15 Cdn that I paid for it, and I got exactly what I paid for in a cheap temporary option. When I get the Leatherman, this camping unit will find a home in the fishing tackle box. That is where it is meant to be ... it even has a fish hook retrieval tool.
Appreciate the update. Pretty much the expected outcome, but you got your money's worth as noted :)
You will not be disappointed when you get the Leatherman. Let us know when you do.(y)

/ LEATHERMAN tools #86  

Popgadget

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
my son-in-law has a Leatherman Crunch that he uses all the time. he likes the vice-grip tool particularly. Very cool tool.

I’ll second that. I usually carry one along with a Swiss army Cyber Tool, and can get most tasks done in the field without going to the shop for tools.

/ LEATHERMAN tools #87  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I'm shocked at the current prices for Leatherman tools! What was what I remember as a $25 tool is now well over $100. Did I sleep through a decade of price creep?