LED amp draw and lighting output

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
How much light can I get with the LED work lights with only 5-7 amps to play with?

When I look at the commercial offerings, It seems like the adds play with the words and specs.

I've got on old tractor (1950) with a Lucas generator, and would like to keep the battery up even when the Western snow plow hydraulic motor is used .

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #2  
5 amps x 12 vdc = 60 watts
60 watts x 50 lumens/watt = 3000 lumens +/-

7 amps x 12 vdc = 84 watts
84 watts x 50 lumens/watt = 4200 lumens +/-

I just picked the 50 lumens/watt out of the air. You might find more efficient LED lights.

For example, here are some 77 lumen/watt LED work lights that draw only 2.3 amps at 12 vdc: Maxxima Rectangular LED Work Light, 2,150 lumens | AW Direct

/ LED amp draw and lighting output
Yes, I know how to calculate watts.

It seems the LED light purveyors have different ideas about the math. ;-)

The link you have referenced is interesting, but quite spendy for a work light.

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #4  
Could it be with a 1950's tractor you are talking about a 6 volt system not a 12 volt?

Have you considered upgrading by installing a Delco alternator. I have done it as have many others on all sorts of vehicles.

Dave M7040

Could it be with a 1950's tractor you are talking about a 6 volt system not a 12 volt?

Have you considered upgrading by installing a Delco alternator. I have done it as have many others on all sorts of vehicles.

Dave M7040

12v, positive gnd. system. With a 5L fan belt. Getting a delco with a pulley this wide might be a problem.

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #6  
12v, positive gnd. system. With a 5L fan belt. Getting a delco with a pulley this wide might be a problem.

Below is a link to a company making alternators and pulleys to fit the 5L belt.

Alternator Mounting Brackets & Tractor Generator to Alternator Conversion

This is the pulley you can buy without an alternator that will work with the 5L belt which is 21/32" wide.

0anBvq1.jpg

In looking at the spec's for a 5L belt and a B or BP belt, the belt cross sectional dimensions are identical.

The B series belts are designed to transmit more power than the 5L

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files...mission/chart/gatescorporationbeltidchart.pdf

D1Z2uGy.jpg

rxASECf.jpg

In summary I don't think the conversion is hard to do and then you will have lots of power and much better reliability than Lucas could ever offer.

Dave M7040

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #7  

Dave M7040

He said Lucas.. Its going to be 12v

/ LED amp draw and lighting output #8  
I am sorry but I fail to get your point. Plse clarify.

I accepted the owner's statement that his machine had a 12 volt positive ground. If the alternator truly dates to 1950, then the output must have be very low perhaps 11 amps

The positive ground is the challenge when changing alternators but not insurmountable.

Currently with only 5 to 7 amps available, he is running a electric hydraulic snow plow and now wants more lighting.

It was not clear about the 5-7 amps being an available output surplus after the plow unit is considered.

Dave M7040

May be time to run a new circuit for new lights. Go 15 amp circuit and you have plenty of work lights. Double check your generator/alternator voltage output.

Ron

Oh If only there were an extra 15 amps available.

Will placing a 15 amp fuse in the circuit miraculously make the current appear ;-)

I think the original post made clear that there are few "extra amps" available.