Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?
Borescopes/endoscopes are extremely inexpensive (and should be in every mechanics/homeowners tool kit). If you are just looking inside a wall cavity for a a wire, inside a pipe for an obstruction, or in my case yesterday inside an a/c unit for a problem they are the tool. High grade ones are expensive but cheap ones are usually < $20 on amazon.
I actually have a camera I use for fishing that would work. I will look around when I get the fuel level down.

You are an environmental nightmare. You have now created an EPA superfund site. Think of all the creeks and water wells that your fuel is getting into. Just kidding, my fuel cap has been a zip lock bag and a rubber band for years now.
`~)

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #23  
I would think that any particles would either settle to the bottom or float to the top overnight.
My 5075 Deere’s fuel tank has a drain valve at the bottom. So does its fuel filter assembly (though without looking I’m not sure if it drains fuel from upstream or downstream of filter material. Upstream?). I’ve used these to draw off any suspected water at the bottom.
I wonder if a quick “flush/drain” of a pint/quart/gallon or two in the morning would remove some fuel at the bottom with the higher particle matter?

Maybe not, but all in all, I agree with others who say run it, and keep some extra filters on hand.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #24  
Borescopes/endoscopes are extremely inexpensive (and should be in every mechanics/homeowners tool kit). If you are just looking inside a wall cavity for a a wire, inside a pipe for an obstruction, or in my case yesterday inside an a/c unit for a problem they are the tool. High grade ones are expensive but cheap ones are usually < $20 on amazon.
Yep, I finally got one about three years ago from Harbor Freight. Paid for itself the first time by retrieving parts that were dropped inside a clutch housing. Would have had to split that tractor otherwise. Have used it on at least a monthly basis since. Mine has a magnet, hook and mirror that attach to the end of it.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #25  
The strainer in the fuel tank will be what clogs up, not the filter(s). Removing the strainer to clean it or remove it permanently is easy. Getting all the fuel out of the tank is the pain.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #26  
The strainer in the fuel tank will be what clogs up, not the filter(s). Removing the strainer to clean it or remove it permanently is easy. Getting all the fuel out of the tank is the pain.
Dang, did not realize they put a strainer on the outlet of the tank on that one. Your right. Will have to keep that in mind when one comes in with a fuel related issue. They are finally getting old enough that I've had a couple to work, just no fuel related issues yet. I'm guessin' it affects your 5090E too?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #27  
I installed drop in strainers in both my tractor's fuel tank fillers and installed the Racor fuel polishing units between the fuel tank outlet and the primary filter on both. Have not changed a fuel filter (on the tractor since). The Racor filters down to 30 microns plus it pulls any water out. Has a clear bowl on the bottom with a drain. I get bulk fuel deliveries to the farm.

Can you tell me how that is done. I have seen no strainer when I look in.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #29  
It is in the bottom of the tank, built into the fuel valve. Hopefully he knows better on how to pull it. Looked in the parts diagrams and looks like it is mounted in a rubber grommet. Probably in a bad spot overall to get to while on the tractor. Wish you would have done this a couple of months ago when I had one here to look at lol.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #30  

Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?​

buy yourself a new fuel filter, run the the tank empty on the old filter. Run a gallon or so more just to be sure and change filters.
That's why you have a filter. Everyone screws up. Sometimes it happens at the refiner, or the trucker, or the fuel station, or sometimes it's you. That's why there are filters.