Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #52  
Basically what I bought but mine are Chineseum bases with Racor R12 filters. Primer pump for me is not necessary.

I find it interesting that they are all listed as a marine accessory.

Both mine are larger (power wise) than yours but the filters are rated at 30 gph and that is way more fuel than I consume at any given time.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #53  
Late to the converstion but
I'd just drain the tank, flush with some good fuel and go, couple hours removing the tank and flushing it is far cheaper than plugged filters and or pump damage

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #54  
i always place the filler cap in the seat, threads up, when refilling.

Hard to miss.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #55  
While I understand what others seem to be suggesting, not worrying about the tank being left open for a short period of time, I'm not sure I fully agree and here's why.

I bought a 9960, great little tractor, but the seller ran it for some period of time with the tank open and I wasn't aware of it.

In the end, the debris in the tank ended up making its way through the filters and plugged up the injectors leading to replacement.

The tank is easy enough to take off, I did it in the field, and an injector job was about $5K at the Kubota dealer.

To me, it's not worth taking the risk unless you're almost positive very little to no debris got into the filler neck/tank.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #56  
I had a problem with the neighbours 5 year old he took the cap off and filled the tank with water, he watched me fill from a drum pump with the same type of hose as the water hose thick black rubber it also had a similar ball valve and short pipe on the end of the hose, lost about 5 gallons of fuel and got a full tank of water I saw him running home from behing my shed dripping wet he had left the water tap running, So I found an old key locked fuel cap from some old car I had at one time that solved two problems having the key to unlock the cap on the ignition key ment the cap had to be fitted before starting and also stopped little big shot from filling my tank again with water. Had to drain the tank blow out the lines and empty the water trap a few times no big deal.
His dad was impressed and offered to pay for the lost fuel and costs, he knew his boy had done it as one of his little gum boots had the smell of fuel and water in it. He is now 25 and he still recalls the incident.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #57  
What a good idea. All of it just as you say. I've been meaning to do the same. Fuel isn't as dependable as it used to be. It's simpler to take care of the problem before it happens.

rScotty
Scotty,

can you pls be more specific on what model/type of Racor you purchased and when? How often do you have to replace the filter? Is that based on tractor hrs or straight time Thank you

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #58  
i always place the filler cap in the seat, threads up, when refilling.

Hard to miss.
Neither of mine have any threads. Both are 1/4 turn tapped like a radiator cap. Before the tether, I just put it in my pocket.