Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now?

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
When I needed to torque something yesterday I was shocked to learn I left my inch lb torque wrench set on 108 inch lbs from it's last use of two months ago. It's a Husky brand I got it at Lowe's. Did I screw up my torque wrench by leaving it set?

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #2  
That's only 9 ft/lbs. so probably not. But you can test that by using another torque wrench if you have it. Most use a spring that's calibrated and adjustable.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now?
That's only 9 ft/lbs. so probably not. But you can test that by using another torque wrench if you have it. Most use a spring that's calibrated and adjustable.
Good idea. I have other ft lb wrenches and a very small in lb wrench so I'll see how they compare.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #4  
Ya, youll have to test it. I carry 3 torque wrenches of varying size on my work truck. I always worry about unloading them after use. I go so far as keeping them in their storage cases, but still worry that there calibrated, especially the small inch pound one.
problem is where i live, there is no one that calibrates them locally. So when in doubt, i have to buy a new one.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #5  
Springs do stretch (or compress) over time and weaken. You may wish to inquire with Husky whether they have a program for recalibrating their torque wrenches.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #6  
Well the first question is what is the range of the torque wrench? Is 108 near full scale or only 10-20% of full scale? The recommendation is typically to unload them to less than 10 or 20%, so if that is where you left it, don't give it a second thought. If you really want to get it calibrated, you can send away for it, and it will cost a bit and probably take a couple weeks. There may be a resource listed in the manual if you still have it. Or search online. Seeing as you are listed as being in Anytown Ohio, I would expect you could find a localish source in Cleveland, Columbus or Toledo areas, whatever is near.

The other thing you can do is test it yourself. Torque is a bit unique in that with a decent fish-type scale, you can get pretty close. Torque = force times distance of the arm. Set the torque wrench for some value that make sense for this bolt. Grab it with the torque wrench and put a fish scale at the free end. Measure from the center of bolt to the point you hook onto the wrench in inches. Pull on the fish scale to tighten the bolt and watch the force on the fish scale. Pick off the max force just before the wrench pops. Multiply inches times force (lbs) to get the torque your fish scale measured. How close is it to the torque wrench setting? This is how you calibrate. The labs do the same thing, but with better precision and control. But you can at least look to see if you are even close this way.

Last edited:
   / Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #8  
At work we had a PM that involved checking torque on about 200 battery connections maybe more. I always said what's the point if we never send our torque wrenches out for calibration? I got blank stares until not long before I retired they actaully started to take maintenance seriously and putting things like that on a inspection/calibration schedule.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now?
I tried to test against my ft lb wrench in the basement and a dubious bolt in my workbench. I'll call the results close but not conclusive and I'll need a more stable bolt and a good comparison wrench. With a storm coming and no other wrench, this is on the back burner till we get a break in the weather and I find another wrench.

My in lb wrench goes to 250 in lb and I left it at 108 in lbs.

/ Left my inch lb torque wrench on setting for two months. Is it ruined now? #10  
Check out Angle Repair Service in Beckley,WV.
The place for torque wrench repair and calibration.
Lots of places send them there.
Good Luck!