Let's talk brakes again

/ Let's talk brakes again #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
My brakes have started making a bad noise:(. Under light pedal pressure, there is no noise, and they stop straight. When you use them a little bit harder, there is a grinding noise, much like gears grinding on a non synchronized transmission (how old do you have to be to remember that sound). They always stop straight, the noise is there if you use both brakes or just one. Is there a wear indicator on these brakes, or am I grinding metal on metal?

/ Let's talk brakes again #2  
Kevin, how many hours do you have on your tractor? My TC45D had brakes that would chatter and squawl until I got about 500 hours on it. Now, they are quiet as can be. I think it's just the nature of wet disc brakes to do this until they get completely broke-in. Most of us don't really use brakes that often or that much on our tractors, especially those like me with HST transmissions. I think you can take comfort in knowing they are wet disc and are working properly even if they sound horrible. I think eventually the sound will go away and your brakes will be fine.

/ Let's talk brakes again
Oh, it's plenty broke in. Almost 1700 hours on it now. I don't use the brakes often (plenty of trees, front end loader--just kidding). The tractor had about 1500 hours on it when I bought it, the brakes sounded fine and worked fine then, but they don't sound good now. It could be your infamous squawk (I hope so), but I don't want to ruin parts. Does anybody know how to check wear on these pads (or does it require major disassembly)? I assume a guesstimate of wear could be made by looking at the pedal adjustment?

/ Let's talk brakes again #4  
Well Kevin, 1700 hours is plenty to have the brakes broke-in. I see what you mean about having them suddenly start squawling and grinding. The Repair Manual says that free play on the pedals should be adjusted for 3/4" to 1-1/4" of play and so that each brake engages when the pedals are depressed evenly.

Does one brake make more noise on your tractor than the other? It just seems unlikely that the brakes would both go out at the same time. I'm still not convinced there is anything wrong and it seems you are a little skeptical too. My manual says the brakes can be serviced by removing the cover with 8 bolts. You'll lose the fluid inside the brake case and you should also replace the seal in the cover when putting it back on (use petroleum jelly to lube the new seal). Of course, the rear tires will have to come off. Each brake has three discs and 3 stators. A pressure plate is operated by a cam when you step on the brake. It's a relatively simple looking mechanism. You can probably view it by using the parts diagram on NH's website. Do you know how to do that? That's a good reference I use often.

/ Let's talk brakes again
I can find the diagrams online, I was only looking at the operators manual I have at home. The noise is the same from both pedals, and both pedals are equally effective at slowing/stopping the machine. Looks like I'll have to find some time to investigate, thanks for the help.