Lifetime antifreeze

/ Lifetime antifreeze #11  
How many are old enough to remember when we drained the antifreeze, flushed the radiator, and refilled it with fresh water and an anti-rust additive in the Spring. Then of course, we drained that and put antifreeze in again in the Fall.:laughing:

Don't remember doing it twice a year, but once a year, yeah fairly standard.

In a related note, what do my fellow TBN'ers do with used antifreeze? In the old days before we knew better we just dumped it on the ground or something, but what do you do now? No one around here accepts it.

/ Lifetime antifreeze #12  
We have a 2012 Ford Escape for a second or backup vehicle. I bought it a little over a year ago with 85k miles on it, but seemingly in very good shape. In a year, we only drove it less than 3k miles, but I decided to have the oil changed anyway, and my dealer recommended servicing the transmission and coolant since it's 5 years old, so I let them do that. I think they sold the car new and the original owner then traded it back in on another new one. So I figure 5 years is long enough.

And I don't "remember, or have personal experience with" the war days when antifreeze was scarce and expensive, but I heard a lot about it when I was growing up.

/ Lifetime antifreeze #13  
Yep I remember. Heck I have antifreeze in a few things that hadn't been changed 15 or more years.

Yup!
Me too!
I can't quite see changing antifreeze every 3-5 years, when I only put 10 hours, or less, per year, on a tractor, or 500 miles on my Jeep.
Kinda like changing your socks every hour?

/ Lifetime antifreeze #14  
How many are old enough to remember when we drained the antifreeze, flushed the radiator, and refilled it with fresh water and an anti-rust additive in the Spring. Then of course, we drained that and put antifreeze in again in the Fall.:laughing:

How many of y'all boys remember when antifreeze was just more hay for the horses?

Yeah, me neither.:rolleyes:

/ Lifetime antifreeze #15  
Look at Final Charge. I switched to that after reading up on it.

/ Lifetime antifreeze #16  
Excellent product that has a long service life, but not to be confused with Fleet Charge that requires SCA maintenance.

OAT Extended Life Coolant - Final Charge | PEAKhd.com

Yep. I changed one engine over to Fleet Charge a few years ago. I found out about Final Charge this year and moved to that. I have a couple of Grasshoppers with Kubota diesels that will be next to get Final Charge.

/ Lifetime antifreeze
So - - I think I will stay with the 5 year, extended life stuff, and not worry about the lifetime stuff. Everybody is right - fluids are cheap compared to a new engine. WTF - I change engine oil, oil filter and both air filters every year. Antifreeze every five years isn't that much trouble.