Light duty FEL Brush Cutter

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #1  

kennywayne

Tractor
Kioti NX5510CH
I have a few spots on hills on the side of my drive/shop that a light duty brush cutter mounted on the FEL would be nice and make my life a lot easier, rather than using a weed eater with a saw blade. It’s just briars and tall grass but would just be tall grass if I could keep it cut.

I’m looking for an used 4’ rotary or flail.

I have an NX5510 so about 10GPM would be a safe max I “think”. 17.9 is max output but you have steering to account for.

I have 3 rear remotes [(1)self centering/(2) float detent self centering)] but considering a summit hydraulics electric spool and swapping the momentary switch for a constant on. Since I have plenty of spare Carling sized switch locations in the cab. That or “rig” a strap/catch to keep a rear remote on.

I assume I would need a relief/bypass type valve incase the rotary hit something to protect the pump and motor?

Question I have is “If 10gpm is enough how do I size the motor correctly? I am not familiar with hydraulic motors outside of how they work.
I found a 4.95in^3 motor on surplus center. That looks to be about 540 at 10-11 GPM, would 1700inlbs be enough to spin a 4’ rotary?
I know I would need to decide on direct drive or drive the PTO input at 540.
Any helpful info is very welcomed.

I thought I saw a thread on this but I can’t seem to find it.
If there is one post the link and I’ll request this be deleted.

Last edited:
   / Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #2  
Is that 10 at the pump or 10 at the remotes??

SR

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter
It’s rated for 17.9 at the pump, not sure what it is at the remotes. I’m estimating 10 when I’m using steering.

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #4  
1700 in-lbs at 540 RPM is approximately 14.5 HP so should would for grass but your cutter speed will fluctuate whenever you operate a loader function

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #5  
1631407401784.png

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #7  
I just added a "Lane Shark" to my collection of tools. Only have about 3-4 hours of cutting with it and so far I'm impressed.

I get 8.5 gal through the hydro and that seems to be plenty.

Also, with the swinging blades, I don't need to worry too much about hitting something.

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #8  

/ Light duty FEL Brush Cutter #9  
For as little to cut that you have considering renting a brushhog for the thick brush then the regular mower to cut the weeds once or twice a year to keep them in check. Or just farm out the job.