Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy?

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
I want to find a smaller log chain, 5/16" G70, with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other, and no spring clip on the slip hook. I can't find it though.

Amazon has it in 14', perfect, except there's a spring clip. I've been pinched and poked enough times already, no more spring clips (unless it was a lifting thing that deserved it). They also have clevis slip hooks without, but only in quantities of like a half dozen, which are $$$.

Also tried TSC, Harbor Freight, McMaster (where I could make one up but the prices are quite high), Home Depot.

Any good bets I'm missing? Where's your favorite "Log Chains R Us" store?

Thanks!!

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #4  
   / Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #5  
I have bought tie down chains and load binders from towing equipment companies, TrucknTow is one that I can remember. They have 5/16" G70 transport chain for $1.99/ft, free shipping.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #6  
I bought the 20' grade 70, 5/16" truckers chain at HF and 2 clevis slip hook 5/16" at Amazon, and then cut the chain into 2 10ft lengths and installed the slip hooks on the open chain ends.

Hope this helps,

KC

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #8  
Everyone is overlooking the pawn shop bargains. Flea markets. Junk sales.

Most people think that their rusted out grade 43 chain has a gold link. I don’t recall ever seeing a good price on a chain at a yard sale or auction.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #9  
Plus you can take a clevis slip hook and weld a piece on the tip of the hook. Piece needs to point to the clevis part. Let it stop 5/16" short of the clevis part. Stays on the log better.

/ Lighter weight log chains -- where to buy? #10  
Most people think that their rusted out grade 43 chain has a gold link. I don’t recall ever seeing a good price on a chain at a yard sale or auction.
I could probably easily fill a 55 gal drum with chain. A lot of it is grade 10.