Lincoln's NR-211MP

/ Lincoln's NR-211MP #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
I was ask to run a bend test over on Welding Web. I thought you guys might be interested in seeing it. After the Northridge earthquake in California Lincoln and Hobart started putting thickness limitations on their wire. Over the years I've had several welding inspectors tell me they have never seen anyone pass a bend test with NR-211. So I gave it a go this morning.
Well so much for Lincolns 1/2-inch limitation. And this was with 30-year old wire, that had a little rust on it.:eek:
.068 NR-211 MP. Ran at 21-volts, 274-AMPS, 0.0 pinch. 3/4-inch thick plate, 35-degree bevel 3/16-inch gap, 1/4 backing plate. The little ding on the coupons is from the bender, first one I didn't place a rag under it. Second one I did, but it still got a ding.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2V first slag.JPG
    2V first slag.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 2V first pass.JPG
    2V first pass.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 2V 4pass.JPG
    2V 4pass.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2V 8 pass.JPG
    2V 8 pass.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 2V ready.JPG
    2V ready.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 2V cut.JPG
    2V cut.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 2V coupon1.JPG
    2V coupon1.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 2V coupon2.JPG
    2V coupon2.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 2V coupon3.JPG
    2V coupon3.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 2V 274 AMPS.JPG
    2V 274 AMPS.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 169
   / Lincoln's NR-211MP #2  
Well , Since your Coupons are literally bent in half and there are no breaks , I am Thinking that I would trust that wire on anything I might try to stick together .

To Say that I am Impressed with Your capabilities would be a Gross Understatement . :thumbsup:

Fred H.

/ Lincoln's NR-211MP
You know I really figured they would break, or have major flaws:confused3:. The wire being 30-years old for one thing!:eek: Then Lincoln putting the 1/2-inch thickness limit on the wire too. That earthquake really stood the structural welding world on it's ear here on the west coast. Soon after you hardly ever seen T-11 wire on structural jobs, all T-8 wire.

/ Lincoln's NR-211MP #4  
T-11 wire isn't designed for low temps or even dynamic loading though. I remember using NR211 before it had the MP after it and it called for something like 21 passes on 3/4" plate to meet required mechanical properties for AWS specs. Other than the copious amounts of smoke, it was real nice wire to burn. I still wouldn't use it for something I wanted really strong but for general stuff it's OK if you have ventilation.

/ Lincoln's NR-211MP
When the LN-22s first came out, all the companies would buy was NR-211. I think it was 1983 I was on a good size cofferdam project in a Navy shipyard. The cofferdam was about 50-feet deep, with sheet pile, we were welding the whaler system, which the tie backs were pulled with 100-Ton hydraulic jacks. It took maybe about a month for the Navy to catch on, and made us switch to NR-203 Nickel.
I forgot how smokey this stuff was, I had to set up a fan blowing the smoke out of the way so I could see.

/ Lincoln's NR-211MP #6  
Lincoln used to have a demo center here and that's where I learned about NR211. The Lincoln rep was telling me(trying too) that the white stuff floating in the air is just like milk and it won't affect you. For those that have never used it, there is not just a lot of smoke but there is little clouds of this white stuff that floats in the air.