Lithium grease vs Fluid Film

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
Both are available in spray cans. I think they both perform similar tasks. Lithium is half the price. Anybody have opinions regarding comparisons of the two?

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film #2  
What are you trying to do. The spray grease has “limited” use compared to the fluid film if you are just looking to have something around the shop.

I keep the red and tacky type grease around and use the CLP type stuff for a lot of other stuff. I haven’t had the need for lithium for decades.

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film
Watched a YouTube video by a garage door installation/service company. They recommend lithium for moving and wear parts on garage doors. When I went to Lowes to buy the lithium spray grease, I noticed how much less expensive it was than Fluid Film. I use Fluid Film quite a bit. I was just wondering if they are basically interchangeable and if I am wasting money on the more expensive product.

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film #4  
Fluid Film is primarily for rust prevention. If I remember correctly Fluid Film is 100% Lanolin derived from sheep. In theory, you could ingest it. Vets spray it into animals as a treatment for some disorders.

Lithium Grease is primarily for friction reduction.

People also ask

What is fluid film made out of?

FLUID FILM is a lanolin based product containing no solvents. It will not evaporate or dry from the surface. FLUID FILM will leave a wet, non-drying film, that will provide long term corrosion protection on all metals and superior lubrication for all moving parts.

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film #5  
I normally associate lithium greases with a clay based product. It tends to dissolve in water and can harden up if left to set long periods. We used it for big HVAC fans because it didn't leave an unsightly mess and they run virtually constant. I always use moly based lubes for outdoor equipment in spite of the black mess.

Ron

/ Lithium grease vs Fluid Film #6  
Lithium is a alkali metal soap used as a thickener to hold the lubricating oil in suspension in grease for lubricating purposes.
Fluid Film is more of for protecting the surface of something though it does have some lubricating qualities
Two different tasks in my book.
So ask yourself, Do I want it to keep looking good?....or.....Does it need lubrication to prevent wear?