Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I got a couple of replies to a on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com/ferg/messages/12728.html>YTMAGS</A> post about this and when I went out to a couple of local tractor repair shops they looked at me like I had two heads so, let me try to boil this down to a yes or no kind of question - is there a Ferguson (or an early MF) tractor that I could search for that would allow me to do all of the following when running a bush hog?
1 - stop the tractor and leave the BH running
2 - stop the tractor, leave the BH running and raise and lower the 3ph arms
3 - stop the tractor, stop the PTO and raise and lower the 3ph arms

If the answer to this question is YES, then I have two follow up questions:

1 - what is the model? does that include "Super" or "Deluxe" or ????

2 - would this type of set up be referred to as "live hydraulics AND INDEPENDENT PTO"?

From my observations, the collective wisdom of th TBN group is phenominal and I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks
Douro Bob

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #2  
<font color=blue>...INDEPENDENT PTO...</font color=blue>

Now, was that a 4 part or 5 part quiz?... How many points do ya get...? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I don't remember any MF units prior to 1964/65 that had Independent PTO... that will do all of what you want...

I had it on my MF165, but it's an option, so you have to look for it... on the left side next to the PTO engage lever, you will notice "hydraulic lines" attached to the side of the trans, and normally you will see a set of remotes on the rear as a clue it's IPTO...

If you see the words "Ground Speed" engraved on the trans casing , next to the PTO lever than it's only Live PTO (dual clutch arrangement)...

Again, I haven't seen any Massey prior to 64/65 that had IPTO... but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO
Thanks John,
NO you didn't win any prizes for the quiz /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and I think it was a 5 parter. I did get a response on the YTMAGS board that said YES, a Ferguson TO 35 "DELUXE" would do all three functions I had outlined but he didn't say if that was called "Independent PTO". I think that Ferguson 35 became the Massey Ferguson 35 somewhere around 1955.

Seems the more I learn the less I know - but I'll never give up trying to learn.

Well I guess I am starting my search wish list so, while I am at it I think I'll hold out for power steering option as well It is a lot easier to go shopping like this when you really don't NEED what you are trying to find. There is no need to settle for less. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Douro Bob

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #4  
Independent pto would be a nicer option.. but a 2stage clutch will do the job too.... lets the pto stay engaged while the drivetrain is disengaged.

Soundguy

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #5  
<font color=blue>...Independent pto would be a nicer option.. but a 2stage clutch will do the job too...</font color=blue>

Yep...yep... yep! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I used nothing but dual-clutch units for years... didn't know any better... Hey it worked great!

Then one day, I discovered IPTO... WOW!... I love IPTO as much as you guys love hydro's... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Going from a dual clutch to a IPTO was like heaven... it's hard to go back now... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif (and my left leg loves it too.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Thanks John and Soundguy
I needed a little confirmation that I wasn't completely out to lunch in thinking that I could get IPTO - now the challenge is finding it on an older, less expensie tractor. I've been looking at Fergusons and Massey Fergusons 'cause I am using a '51 Ferguson 2085 now and I realy like the size and manoverability, the fact that I can get parts easily and, even for an amateur like me, some repairs are actually within my skill level. Are there other colours that I should investigate? What models?

DouroBob

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #7  
Bob, my Ferguson TO-20 can do #'s 1 and 2, but not #3. But I've never had any need for to do that. As long as you have an overrunning clutch on your PTO, not having a live PTO really isn't much of a problem. I have a live PTO on my Oliver, but I still prefer the small size and manuverability of my Ferguson for many jobs, like brush hogging. You just can't beat a Ferguson!!!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

They are a great little machine and I realy love the manouverability. I'm checking into the "Live Thang" a device developed by Zane Sherman and discussed on the<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com/nboard/wwwboard1.html> YTMag </A> site under Fords - search for Live Thang. Looks like a few hundred bucks could do the job for me and allow me to keep this little 2085 workhorse that I know - and besides that I can still use my shop manuals.

Cheers.

Douro Bob

/ Live Hydraulics vs Independent PTO #9  
Bob, you're talking about the Zane Thang. I know about that. But an even cheaper option are check chains. You hook them up from your top link to the two bottom links, and they keep your implement level whether your pto is on or not. You can partially see them on the attached picture of my rotary cutter on my Ferguson.

Attachments

• 44-179781-MVC-001S.JPG
    44-179781-MVC-001S.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 374