Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
The dealer I bought my B2650 from loaded the rear tires as part of the deal.

It's been sitting a while (mowing season over, blowing season hasn't begun yet...:laughing:) and when I used it today it felt like it was wallowing pretty badly. It improved some after the tires warmed up and "got round" again, but still felt off.

I checked the WSM for recommended tire pressures and came up with 16-20 PSI for the rears. After remembering to rotate the tire so the valve stem was at the top (oops...:rolleyes: ) I checked them and they were below what my gauge would read. I inflated them to 20 PSI.

Now I'm second-guessing myself. The recommendation in the book didn't say anything about loaded tires, but I can't convince myself either way whether it makes any difference.

What say the Brain Trust?

Edit: They're R1 Ag tires if that makes any difference.

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #2  
It makes no difference.

Only variation is it takes much less air to change the internal pressure.

Hopefully your dealer simply forgot to air up the tires after adding fluid??

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #3  
I use 16 psi but would not care too much if I had 20 in them. Check your tire print to see how much tire tread is on the ground.

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #4  
My rears are loaded and I run about 18 PSI. Check the tread contact pattern next time you are in fresh snow or dirt / sand and adjust air pressure for full even contact.

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #5  
If it's available to you, use smooth concrete floor to test contact patch.

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #6  
i know at 20# the ride quality declined a LOT.. the tractor just bounced all over the place with each bump i hit..

Lowering the pressure to around #12 fixed the ride quality

brian

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #8  
With loaded rears it takes around 18# to achieve a full contact patch.

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #9  
When working with tires on tractor rears we are at times with only 5 to 7 lbs with duals on! With compacts it is hard to inflate beyond 15 lbs with industrials on the rear without a backhoe installed. We are often around 10 lbs with industrial tires on the rear.

You should be touching the ground all across the bar of the tire! Many at higher settings are only riding on the center of the tire! This can cause transmission issues with dis-engaging the four wheel drive as well!

/ Loaded Tires and Tire Pressure #10  
For loader work, I almost always run at the pressure listed on the tire sidewall. You can go lower for a cushier ride, but don't go too low if lifting anything heavy on the loader or 3-pt hitch.