Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #1  

McREBEL

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920
I am very likely picking up a used tiller and rotary cutter this weekend. They are three hours from my house. The guy I am buying them from has a 42 HP Mahindra but no FEL. He also says there is no significant bank or ditch to back the trailer up to.

Options for loading:

1) I could haul my tractor with me which is small/light enough to get on and off the trailer with ramps. I really don't want to haul my tractor with me if I can come up with a different plan.

2) If the trailer is low enough, and I think it is, I could put the tiller on a pallet. I could also take my 3 point forks with me and have the seller use his tractor to put the pallet/tiller on the back of the trailer. Then use a come along to pull the pallet/tiller to the front of the trailer. Next we could hook the rotary cutter to his tractor and he could just set it down on the back of the trailer. Again using the come along to pull it up in to the trailer more if needed.

I welcome any problems you see or other options/suggestions. I am going to ask him if he has a neighbor with a FEL or smaller tractor that can get on/off the trailer.

Thanks.

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #2  
I assume your trailer doesn't have ramps? So he can't back up onto the trailer with his tractor?
If you're using a regular trailer, without ramps, how high is it? Will his tractor lift the implements high enough to place them on the rear of the trailer with his 3 pt hitch. To me, it all depends on the trailer as far as the solution. Or borrow a good trailer with ramps and just drive onto it. Generally, I think you can muscle the implement in position if you can lift them high enough to set them on the rear deck. Maybe take some plywood for slides, and a few timbers for leverage. A winch would be nice also. I agree that towing my tractor wouldn't be an option.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer
I can get ramps, but the seller said his tractor would be too heavy to back up on the trailer. He didn't even want to consider it.

I do think we can lift the implements high enough with his tractor to get them on the back of the trailer.

The plywood for slides and timbers for leverage are good ideas. I have a long heavy metal pry bar I will take with me.

Thanks.

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #4  
Disconnect the trailer and jack the front to lower the rear. Set the rotary on the back of the trailer then detach. Wench it to the front. Done.

Do the same with the tiller if it's a 3pt.

When you get it home, reverse the process.

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #5  
If you don't have one, this would be reason enough to buy a boom pole. Take it with you, put it on the sellers tractor to load with. They are a handy thing to have.

If you don't have one, this would be reason enough to buy a boom pole. Take it with you, put it on the sellers tractor to load with. They are a handy thing to have.

Great idea and what makes it better is my neighbor has one I can borrow.

Thanks.

Disconnect the trailer and jack the front to lower the rear. Set the rotary on the back of the trailer then detach. Wench it to the front. Done.

Do the same with the tiller if it's a 3pt.

When you get it home, reverse the process.

Good idea here too about unhooking and jacking the trailer if it is too high. Thanks.

Once I get them on the trailer I will have it made. I can either lift them off with the FEL or back on to the trailer with my tractor at home.

Thanks for the suggestions, but in the end the seller allowed me to use his tractor to back the implements up on the trailer. I forgot to get a picture of them on the trailer but here they are at home. They were a package deal. I needed the rotary cutter but not the tiller so the tiller will go up for sale.

IMG_20160806_190545.jpg IMG_20160806_190750.jpg

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #9  

i was going to say the exact same thing. there like $110 with a coupon at TSC.

/ Loading tiller/rotary cutter in trailer #10  
Thanks for the suggestions, but in the end the seller allowed me to use his tractor to back the implements up on the trailer. I forgot to get a picture of them on the trailer but here they are at home. They were a package deal. I needed the rotary cutter but not the tiller so the tiller will go up for sale.

View attachment 477117 View attachment 477118
Wow did he use them?? They look brand new!!!

Were those implements undersized for his tractor if he thought he was going to crush your trailer , or did he not know any better or do you have a lighter duty trailer?