Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
It's time for it to go to the dealer. Neighbor has this trailer, 6 x 12, maybe longer, dual axle, wood deck. I want to take the 7' finish mower at the same time. Strapping down isn't an issue. Position is. Mower weighs about 7-800 lbs. Tractor is 1500 without the loader.

Mower is loaded, but I'm wondering about the tractor and/or loader. I can pull up to the mower deck with the front tires, but does that leave too much weight to the rear? Front with engine should be heavier than the rear with the transmission, no?

I was planning to take the loader and arms off, but now I'm thing maybe leave it on and place it over the mower as shown. I can take the loader off, or take the bucket off and leave the loader frame and arms if either would help center the weight.

Pictures aren't the greatest, but they should show the general situation.

Loading 1.jpg

Loading2.jpg

Or do I just scrap taking the mower and move the tractor forward a bit? Putting the mower behind would put too much of the tractor weight forward.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #2  
Can you put mower up on side rails and turn it sideways? Are your rear tires loaded? I load my BX2230 and my B26TLB bacwards to get balance right. Just some thoughts. Good Luck. Jon

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #3  
I would try it. I think it’ll be fine the way it is.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions.
Between the rails gives it a lot less avenues of escape.

It's tied down with 4 2100 lb straps. I bought 4 brand new 3300 lb straps for the tractor. Also have one chain and load binder if I can figure out where to tie that once loaded.

Trip is close to 80 miles, but we'll stay on back roads at lower speeds and stop to check a few times.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #5  
Looks like it will work with or without the loader, but I'm not that good at eyeballing loads. There are methods to use levers and a bathroom scale to measure the tongue weight, which I suspect you should be shooting for 550 lbs (with loader).
I have a small hydraulic scale I bought years ago for my RV trailer which is very convenient. I believe it's made by "Sherline".

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #6  
I would hook my truck up to it and load the tractor loader over the finish mower with the tractor pulled as far forward as you can, pull it down the road and see how she pulls, that will tell you what to do, if it pulls poorly back up and go to plan B.

^^^ That's kind of the plan. Not my truck or trailer though so gotta wait for the neighbor to get up today to go further. Get it loaded, try it for a couple of miles, then re-evaluate as necessary.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #8  
Measure your rear fender arches prior to lowering the trailer jack on the truck, then lower the trailer onto the ball, load the tractor and measure the rear wheel arches again. If you get 1.5 to 2" of drop, you'll be fine. That tells you that you have weight planting the rear of the truck. If it's not pulling the rear down, you'll stand a good chance of going into oscillations that can result in flipping the truck and trailer. I've improperly loaded a trailer once in my life and came very close to wiping out the entire rig. I am always very careful to front load my weight.

Option B.... chain the mower to the loader, back the tractor onto the trailer while carrying that mower. Set the mower down at the rear and strap it all. Putting the heavy end of the tractor on to the front most position should help plant the truck. I'll take front heavy over rear heavy every time if that is the choice.

/ Loading/Transport Questions; Seeking Opinions. #9  
Do you need the loader to get the mower off?

Like RC said, you need weight on the towing vehicle to stay stabile. It appears to me, with that loading scenario, you are pretty neutral on tongue weight. Especially if you take the loader off. Err on the side of too much tongue weight vs not enough.

Went well. Had to take the loader bucket off to get things positioned right. Dropped the loader arms down onto the mower using a couple of old pillows to protect the mower deck paint. The four 3300# straps were probably overkill, but better too much than too little. Truck bumper dropped enough to be noticeable, but I didn't measure. Driver said he couldn't feel any issues during the first mile or so. Stopped about 10 miles out to check the straps and nothing had moved.

Left the trailer at the dealer so we didn't have to haul it empty. They'll get the mower off.