Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
Am building a 10' x 15' loafing shed in my new paddock. It will be a three sided (front will be open) structure, 6' high in back, 8' high in front, wainscotting on the lower 33", and metal siding the remainder and roof. Rear posts are 4" x 4"and front posts are 4" x 6". Yesterday was Day One and spent the morning laying out the lines and digging the post holes using the tractor and PHD. Then went and picked up the posts and a few other supplies. Today was Day Two and got the posts set in place with concrete. Will take some pictures at each stage and post.

Really happy to have a tractor....sure has made it much easier and quicker to do this project.

Last edited:
   / Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #2  
Yep, that tractor paid for itself again in the last two days. :drink:

Look forward to the pics.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #3  
A "loafing shed"... never heard the term before but a quick Google shows a three sided shed, single to several bays. Everything from a run-in shelter for livestock (horses) to a tack room + stable.

Ok fine.

Here's my 5-bay shed (concrete floor):

Attachments

• 35hayrounds02.JPG
    35hayrounds02.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 678
   / Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two
A "loafing shed"... never heard the term before but a quick Google shows a three sided shed, single to several bays. Everything from a run-in shelter for livestock (horses) to a tack room + stable.

Ok fine.

The one I am building in my paddock will be a run-in shelter. I primarily use this paddock for calving and weaning.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #5  
The one I am building in my paddock will be a run-in shelter. I primarily use this paddock for calving and weaning.

That's gotta hurt.... :laughing:

but seriously, tractors sure make the work easier. :thumbsup:

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #6  

Ok fine.

Wagtail, very nice. Around here, that would be described more as an equipment shed.

BTW, looks like you have room for some more equipment. ;) :thumbsup:

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #7  

Sounds just like the loafing shed I helped a neighbor build a few years ago for his horses to get out of the weather, and of course loaf. :)

Here's a couple of pictures of Days 1 &2 work. Next step will be to put the wainscoting on to give it more structural strength and the I will cut the corner posts down to size and install the front ridge beam. Hope to get that done this weekend.20190107_083830.jpeg20190107_083805.jpeg

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #9  
I built one of those sheds in 2010. It's 20 x 28 ft with 12 ft front height and 11 ft rear height. Metal sides and roof.

Equip shed finished-1 (Medium).JPG

Good luck

Nice shed!