Log home owners what stain you use on your house.

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house. #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
Just wondering what stain you guys all use for your log home and what's your opinions.

Been using Sikkens SRD on my log home. Been really happy with the results. It's an oil based stain so I can just go over the old stain with minimum prep and the wood soaks it in nicely and have had the home for ten years and no sign of rot anywhere. It's a little pricey but I feel the product is worth it.

I can usually get about 3 years on the south/west sides (full exposure to the sun really puts a beating on the stain and on the north and east sides I can usually get about 5-6.

The only issue I have is usually after about 2 years some of the knots in the wood tend to bleach out but other than that been really happy with the product.

Just looking for opinions on other products out there. The upper side of some of my logs are getting really cracks in them but so far coating them with the SRD has held up against any deterioration.

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house. #2  
I am not much help since the house is still under construction and I only have one coat on so far, but I went with Natures Edge:
Nature's Edge

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house. #3  
i ran a cleaning business for 5 years and done some log homes and deck cleaning and sealing weht to 2 training schools 1 for masonary and the other for wood and vinyl the best product i was able to come across is wolman products they have a oil base toner/ sealler called f and p that looks great and holds up for around 5 years i used alot of it still use it on my personal decks.wolman products .com

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house. #4  
Cascade and Capture,
I'm getting about the same lifetime out of it. Easy on with an airless spray rig.

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house. #5  
Neighbors in Montana just used cheap motor oil. Looked great. I'll bet it would burn well, too.

/ Log home owners what stain you use on your house.
Can acrylics go over oil based stains? The first stain I ever put on the house was a latex base and then an acrylic sealer which was from Perma-chink and it came with the log home kit. Wasn't really a big fan of the latex because instead of just fading or general weathering it had a tendency to peel.

Hence why I ended up switching to an oil based, It is a little more work on clean-up but know I am gettting deep penetration in the wood.