Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I have ordered the steel for my new dump trailer build, it will be 6'-4" x 12' box with 2 extra feet in front of the box for a boom grapple. I searched but didn't really come up with anything.
I'm trying to figure the best way to have it rotate.
I will have a 6.5 hp hydraulic powered pump on board to operate it.
Chain with sprocket hooked to a hydraulic cylinder?
Other ideas?

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #2  
How many degrees of rotation do you want?

Bruce

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions
I'm thinking about 220* or maybe less, at least 180*

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #4  
I would be looking at a lot of backhoes for ideas.

And maybe make a system so the boom could be manually rotated to a forward facing position so it could be used to load the tow vehicle, without having to make it do a 360 rotation.

Bruce

That's not a bad idea, thanks. I won't be loading current tow vehicle but I am going to be looking for a 3/4 ton to make into a flatbed.

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #6  
You could do a manual hand cranked thing like some older snow blowers rotated there spouts. Could give 360 deg. Or chain and sprocket with Hyd.motor?

You could do a manual hand cranked thing like some older snow blowers rotated there spouts. Could give 360 deg. Or chain and sprocket with Hyd.motor?

I would love to do chain and sprocket and hydraulic motor but I'm not sure I can get one with enough torque and low rpms.

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #8  
Surplus center has some large volume Motors. You could also do a double chain reduction.

Surplus center has some large volume Motors. You could also do a double chain reduction.

Hadn't thought about double chain reduction, thanks.

/ Log loader build, need some help/ideas/suggestions #10  
No input on the boom rotation. But thinking about the trailer build. If you are going to be set up to lift any significant weight you probably need to incorporate some kind of stabilizer pads. Otherwise you will be stressing the trailer and its suspension.

Doug in SW IA