Logs to Lumber to Living

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
The OSU extension service is presenting a workshop on building a cabin in the woods. Location is Roseburg, Oregon. They will cover permits, material costs, design features, amenities, accessories, and access/liability.

Date: October 26, 2016
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Cost: $15/family
Registration: Logs to Lumber to Living: A Cabin in the Woods | OSU Extension Service - Douglas County

I don't know if they have the online registration up and running yet.

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #2  
I built a log cabin - 20x26 - when we lived in Alaska. I sure could have benefited from a workshop on the subject. My biggest problems were: getting these massive logs from where I cut them to my property and: how very hard it is to handle a log 14" x 26' after its debarked and slippery as a wet bar of soap. Otherwise it was a LOT of grunt and a LOT of mosquitos.

View attachment 483819 View attachment 483820 View attachment 483821 View attachment 483822

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #3  
Sounds like a cool workshop! I'm thinking about building a "play cabin" using the dead ash trees in our woods. It would be for any upcoming grandkids we might have.

Too bad I'm 2,421 miles from Roseburg, OR.

/ Logs to Lumber to Living
I built a log cabin - 20x26 - when we lived in Alaska. I sure could have benefited from a workshop on the subject. My biggest problems were: getting these massive logs from where I cut them to my property and: how very hard it is to handle a log 14" x 26' after its debarked and slippery as a wet bar of soap. Otherwise it was a LOT of grunt and a LOT of mosquitos.

View attachment 483819 View attachment 483820 View attachment 483821 View attachment 483822

That's a pretty high class cabin. It looks comfortable. Is there insulation in the ceiling?

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #5  
Yes, open bat between the rafters and then enclosed with 1" x 6" rough cut lumber. Its was my dream home away from the life in Anchorage. The upper floor was our sleeping loft. Built the summer of '76 and it still stands and is in use now as an addition to a permanent home. Sold to a good friend when we left AK in 1982.

Life at the cabin was the good times.

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #6  
Yes, open bat between the rafters and then enclosed with 1" x 6" rough cut lumber. Its was my dream home away from the life in Anchorage. The upper floor was our sleeping loft. Built the summer of '76 and it still stands and is in use now as an addition to a permanent home. Sold to a good friend when we left AK in 1982.

Life at the cabin was the good times.

With matching shoes for everyone! Looks like a very gratifying project. :thumbsup:

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #7  
You have VERY sharp eyes, Luke. We had all been out cross-country skiing.

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #8  

That is an impressive cabin. Did just the two/three of you build that?

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #9  
sixdogs - It was myself, my wife & 6 year old son. There were a couple times friends helped but they were basically more problems than help. They had no idea how easy it was to get hurt and how to avoid the dangers involved. Example - friend helping peal the logs. Pulled my HEAVY draw knife into his knee - had to take the remainder of the day getting to hospital to get treatment.

We worked every weekend from May thru October and took two weeks off - midsummer. Had a permit from the State to cut trees on their land. I harvested 135 logs - 30 feet long to build the cabin. Logs were cut on State land approximately ten miles from cabin site. Loaded six logs at a time on heavy duty trailer and drove them to cabin site. Each log was individually winched up to cabin site with winch on Jeep. Cabin site is 125 feet higher than the road. Log was then two-sided with Alaska mill and pealed. We were able to do one complete row(4 logs) per weekend and have four more two-sided and pealed for the next weekend. The remainder of the time was dealing with the main floor, loft floor, roof, insulation etc, etc.

Man - could I have used the tractor & grapple I currently have. I had winch points(snatch blocks) positioned all around the site - high up on the trees. Winch line from Jeep, thru snatch block and then attached to log. Wife ran the winch and I would grunt/manhandle the log up the side of the cabin. Once the log was on top of the wall - it was pretty simple to gently and VERY carefully move it into position. In all of that grunting, pushing, cursing etc, etc we only "lost" one log. I pushed it too hard and it fell to the ground on the inside of the cabin walls. My hands were constantly getting pinched, mashed and smashed. Fortunately, nothing was ever broken.

The cabin site is approximately 25 miles NNW of Anchorage - across Cook Inlet.

/ Logs to Lumber to Living #10  
That was no small feat to do what you did with what you had. A little adventure in life is good because it gives you something to reflect back on when you get older. I'll bet you could write a book.