Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harrow

Been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a disc harrow around 8' wide. I have been unable to find any information on the Long Manufacturing unit. Anyone had any experience with these?

Attachments

• farm stuff 002.jpg
    farm stuff 002.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • farm stuff 003.jpg
    farm stuff 003.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • farm stuff 006.jpg
    farm stuff 006.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 1,058
  • farm stuff 007.jpg
    farm stuff 007.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
   / Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #2  
Looks solid, is that 4x4 tubing? Should actually be heavy enough to work!

New discs wouldn't hurt on the front, keep the old ones for the back (eventually). Also check the bearings. From the pics I'd go $500 easy.

It looks better built than anything you will find with paint on it for more money.

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro
I believe the gentleman is asking $675 and he did mention one of the bearings needed replacing. Indicated he was selling it for a widow woman. Looks like it is at least 3" may be 4" and more bracing than some. Could be a good fixer for 1/5 what a new one is running.

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #4  
I'd be comfortable with 6 too. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a winner to me. If you have been looking for a while, you know how pathetic most harrows are in that price range.

The back discs look good enough to just swap the front and rear and get a couple more years out of them.

Called guy back. Frame is 3". Said he thought the very inside blades were 7"and others 9". I assume a spacer would change that to make them all 9"? See any issues or concerns?

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #6  
I have one sort of similar, made by king. Its a 3" frame 8.5' wide. It has 9" spacing in the front and 7.5" on the rear. I think you are stuck with the spacing.

The only concern that I had on mine is that it has 7/8" axles. Yours may have bigger axles, may not. Some people will say double hangers are better, and they may be, but I never had a problem with the single like yours has.

Mine seems to be holding up fine, but I honestly only use it for maybe 5 acres of food plots a year and a little half acre garden spot. I use a 6' no till drill for most of my plots, and have bigger stuff for tillage on my farm.

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #7  
Nice looking disc. I doubt with 10 blades across it would be 8 ft cut? Scrappers would be a +. A frame should be easy to straighten. Bearings are pretty much standard. Ken Sweet

sweettractors said:
Nice looking disc. I doubt with 10 blades across it would be 8 ft cut? Scrappers would be a +. A frame should be easy to straighten. Bearings are pretty much standard. Ken Sweet

Seller is calling it a 9' disc. Going to look at it tomorrow, with trailer in tow. Even if I have to put a little in it, if it is in decent shape I think I will still save thousands over a new one.

Was able to purchase for $600. Does have 4" frame and has Cat. 2 pins. Will need a little work but looks like a good start. Thanks for all the input and advice.

ForumRunner_20111017_145455.png

/ Long Manufacturing Co. Model 960 Disc Harro #10