Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C

/ Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C #1  

alylea

Tractor
JD LX280
Hi All,

So I have a 50 gallon diamond plate aluminum tank that I use for long term diesel storage for a generator. Fuel is rarely disturbed and tank is sealed with a pressure release cap. I treat it regularly with Power Service Diesel Treat + Cetane Boost, PS Clear Diesel, and PS Biocide. Tank is stored outside but not in direct sun. Outlet side runs through a water trap filter. I was thinking of getting a Mr. Funnel and recirculating the entire tank a couple of time through it grab any water that might have condensed out, and also grab any sludge that may have accumulated in the bottom. I will use a Jabsco pump with a dip tube to the bottom and a hose to the top for the recirculation.

Comments? Thoughts?

Lyle
20200808_184736.jpg

/ Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C #2  
Hi All,

So I have a 50 gallon diamond plate aluminum tank that I use for long term diesel storage for a generator. Fuel is rarely disturbed and tank is sealed with a pressure release cap. I treat it regularly with Power Service Diesel Treat + Cetane Boost, PS Clear Diesel, and PS Biocide. Tank is stored outside but not in direct sun. Outlet side runs through a water trap filter. I was thinking of getting a Mr. Funnel and recirculating the entire tank a couple of time through it grab any water that might have condensed out, and also grab any sludge that may have accumulated in the bottom. I will use a Jabsco pump with a dip tube to the bottom and a hose to the top for the recirculation.

Comments? Thoughts?

Lyle View attachment 767268
It will be slow, but can’t hurt anything.

/ Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C
It will be slow, but can’t hurt anything.
Hi jyoutz,

Thanks for the response. Figured I would let it run for about 30 minutes which should circulate the tank roughly 2.5 to 3 times while I did maintenance on the generator. Any other suggestions without it costing big $$$'s? Just looking to minimize the risk of bad fuel.

Lyle

/ Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C #4  
Hi jyoutz,

Thanks for the response. Figured I would let it run for about 30 minutes which should circulate the tank roughly 2.5 to 3 times while I did maintenance on the generator. Any other suggestions without it costing big $$$'s? Just looking to minimize the risk of bad fuel.

Lyle
IDK. Maybe putting it under a shelter would reduce condensation?

/ Long Term Diesel Storage with Mr. Funnel 5GPM F8C #5  
I probably wouldn’t mess with it. Do you have anything that burns diesel other than the generator? If not maybe a neighbor with a tractor or truck that you could discount it to and burn it up. It’s been discussed before how long diesel lasts. I think in good conditions it’s years but I think after 2 or 3 years I’d want to burn it up and start fresh.