Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water?

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #11  
I am with @California that an easy starting engine is a great sign of good compression and a working fuel system.

I don't buy condensation in the oil.

However, totally intact engines don't blow off their coolant, don't overheat, and don't end up with water in their oil (condensation or not). The fact that he started it, after you asked him not to isn't a good sign in my book, as he clearly isn't a skilled mechanic. If the radiator is not clogged, I'd offer him a fair price for the attachments (shine a bright flashlight through the radiator). If the radiator is clogged, I would offer him a little more, but at the end of the day, he for sure boiled over the engine coolant, and that ranges from no damage to major damage. If he ran it dry, major damage for sure. Look for oil in the coolant, and milkiness in the oil. Tell him not to start it for 24 hours before you get there. If you find a warm engine, I would walk away.

All the best,

Peter

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #12  
Im going over Friday with a radiator pressure tester. He changed oil today and filled it with water. Says its running good. His mechanic said condensation but my 72 ford 390 sets for a year some time and oil is always clean. Never had a diesel or a tractor so just Curious and found this site helpful

That's what im hoping head gasket. Going over in couple days with my radiator pressure tester and see whats up.

In short order of time, tap water will cause all kinds or corrosion in a vehicle cooling system. PLEASE, when you do get the machine, drain and flush the cooling system. Then refill with the Prestone 50/50 mix that is 100% compatible with older engines like this 1979 tractor.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #14  
Yea I'd price out the implements, and them maybe a couple hundred for a tractor with a possible bad engine.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #15  
Yea I'd price out the implements, and them maybe a couple hundred for a tractor with a possible bad engine.
I guess I'm more of a gambler. Value of the implements to me, then maybe a quarter or a fifth of what the tractor would be worth after easy repairs. It's random luck whether the repair would actually be easy, or would cost up to the total value after repair.

I've won considerably more than I've lost on such gambles but there have been some real miscalculations, too.

Worst case was the $100 old Mercedes sedan with a rattle in the engine. Maybe just a timing gear?

Nope. That Mercedes' timing chain had shattered and sent abrasive chunks all through the engine. While the owner drove 100 miles back home. Total loss. Sold the $100 Mercedes for $50.

But more of my gambles have turned out worthwhile. A recent one was $25 for a HF MIG-180 welder that included a surprise tig/stick welder with all its accessories. Then $50 to get set up - replaced the missing plug and top handle, and the missing hub for a 2 lb spool. Both welders work the same as new. Problem-solving like this has saved me a lot of money and allowed me to have toys I wouldn't have spent what they would cost new.