looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST

/ looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #1  

geminijo

Tractor
310c
Greetings,this is my first post and first time tractor shopping. I'm going to look at a 2017 Kioti CK4010HST with 1200hrs on it.It is a basic tractor w/o any extra bells or whistles just a front loader w/quick attach bucket.From the online pictures the dealer sent the tractor seems to be in real decent condition, the dealer is asking $14,900.With the limited amount of information in my post does that price seem to be reasonable? Are there any areas of the tractor I should be looking at closely,any known problems or conditions with this model? Any information, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.TIA

/ looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #2  
In this market with high demand for tractors, that's not a bad price for a 40hp tractor. At least with 1200h you know it didn't just sit around. The CK series is Kioti's largest seller.

/ looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #3  
Lots of better choices hours wise for similar price points-unless your what I'd call a backyard shopper who is unwilling to hit the road to save money. Those hours are more typical of auction tractors that dealers don't keep around in that size category and sell off or ebay them.
prices can be not much different from a new one but buying privately you'll also save sales tax besides the reality that there's lots of tractors for sale in that price category even with a warranty too. I'd walk away, period. My Kioti DK35SE is a 2010 pre tier4 re-gen tractor bought with 120 hours on it in 2017-now at ~300 hours. I really dislike re-gen tractors as you'll hear many say the same thing.
Were it a much larger tractor for field work in more hp category the hours would become not so many. In my web searches saved list I've got a bunch I'd buy over that one!

/ looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #4  
What is your location?

Tractor pricing is highly regional.

Variation between Alaska/Hawaii and South Carolina/Georgia can be 30%.

A traditional clutch and gear transmission in a 40-hp tractor will substantially lower the price.

2-WD vs 4-WD will substantially lower the price.

EVALUATION VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #5  
My NX5510 is a 2016 (late) and I've got 675 hours on it. Zero engine or drivetrain [HST] issues, and I've worked it plenty hard. I've also maintained it well [KEY! - I document all work]. Biggest issue of concern I've had with it was with leaking rear diff casings- having bought new, these were taken care of by the dealer. One could, I suppose, live with the leaks, but if one couldn't then it might be a fairly costly repair item (something that I'd think hard and long over whether I'd do such work myself). All it takes to make a good deal a not-so-good-deal is one major issue: find out your main hydraulic pump is crapped/crapping out, or your transmission is crapping out, and repair costs plus headaches and you find yourself on the bad side of the ledger.

My B7800 had 748 hours on it when I bought it and it was only about 4 years old at the time. It had been used commercially- bucket had been replaced by the dealer (read "a LOT of loader work"). This was my first tractor. Looking back I can see that this was more risk than I'd be willing to take today.

1,200 hrs on a four-year-old machine seems high, likely used commercially, likely worked hard (on the abuse side of things- some tractors, such as my B7800 can take severe abuse [having put on 1,100 hours on it myself I can attest to this!], while others not; and with newer tractors we don't have the data to know for sure).

Mitigation strategy for potential issues with used equipment, given that the tractor in consideration specs out to meets one's requirements, my preference would be an older tractor with fewer hours.

Service documentation! Service documentation! Service documentation! If not, then one really should have some sort of warranty (if dealer). Without either of these a "cheap" tractor can become a project unto itself: last thing I wanted was another piece of equipment, a primary one, that came with unknowns- the reason why I bought my NX5510 new.

The Kioti NXs are a good tractor: time will tell whether they move toward the "great" side of the spectrum or toward the "no-so-great" side. Good tractors, however, can be turned into bad tractors via poor maintenance and or abuse.

Highly recomment SSQA and remotes.

/ looking at a used Kioti CK4010 HST #6  
Bought new the HST vs. geared shuttle is true- but used those sort of things tend to melt away price wise with private sellers.
Yesterday I drove by a NH, M-F, (they sell Kubota/M-F on another lot) fairly active dealers lot while en-route to pick up a used wagon running gear I'd bought on the web.
That dealer had one tractor on the entire lot! Easier to talk about tractors than buy one new? Many private sellers will tell you they get lookers who need financing they cannot get to buy a private sale tractor, not that most don't sell sooner or later. I've seen many, many decently priced, used private sale tractors that have been on the market for several months then a very few others that sell fast. Kubotas seem to be fast sellers when shiny and low hours. I had a Kubota L4600 with 200 hours and barn kept that on my saved list. it was priced several $thousand over it's new 2014 price and sold in a week. Location & brand are keys to a fast sale so it seems.
Like many items bought up during covid on credit using government bucks, these tractors sold in covid will start showing up for sale in a bit. Hard items like vehicles, tractors, sawmills are toys that the payments keep coming and they sell them off when divorces and moving around takes place.
I can't talk myself into a 2nd tractor for now, so I'll wait a bit longer to see how/if mine comes out...