Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I've got a 3" gas water pump from Harbor Freight. Unfortunately, the gas cap vibrated off and landed on the engine. I arrived to find a melted plastic pancake. An email to HF was met with a "Sorry, parts no longer available" message.

The OD of the threads on the gas tank are about 2 1/4". A generic 2 1/8" cap sold at places like Home Depot is too small.

Any bright ideas on where to look for a cap or ideas to make one out of common materials? :confused3:

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap #4  
I recently purchased a 3" trash pump and it also has a threaded cap and a separate tank vent with a hose going to the carb or air cleaner. Must be EPA mandated. Not sure if mine has male or female threads.

I was looking for a replacement cap to modify like they do to get extended run times on Honda generators. This pump does have a fuel pump so I might just slip a fuel line into a gas jug and bypass the built in tank. Might be a temp option for you.

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap
   / Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap #7  
iu

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap #8  
That works, but they flare up, and taste bad when cooked, after you find your cap.

Bruce

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap #9  
maybe a 2-1/4 npt black iron pipe fitting ? or plastic/pvc npt fitting?
511scWK5x1L._SX342_.jpg

or even brass my bus uses one about 2-3" in dia

/ Looking for a Harbor Freight Pump Gas Cap
I recently purchased a 3" trash pump and it also has a threaded cap and a separate tank vent with a hose going to the carb or air cleaner. Must be EPA mandated. Not sure if mine has male or female threads. I was looking for a replacement cap to modify like they do to get extended run times on Honda generators. This pump does have a fuel pump so I might just slip a fuel line into a gas jug and bypass the built in tank. Might be a temp option for you.
This pump had a similar system and the pump would die unless I left the cap a little loose. That was why it vibrated loose and melted.