Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV.

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a UTV in the next 6 months for light recreation, plowing (1/2 mile driveway...straight and quite flat), and light utility work. I own 25 acres surrounded by my father's 220. I know many don't recommend plowing with a UTV, but I have access to my dad's JD990 and his F250 with a plow if we get big snows (which are rare in PA). I don't like relying on others, and after living here for two years, it's time to get something for me to have to not only run around the property with, but to be able to do work with (again..light work).

I hate that UTVs all seem to be approaching the $20K+ mark once you start adding cabs (which I think I want with the snow work/winter driving). My dad has a mid size Ranger 570, and it's loud and slow. I don't need speed, but I also want something somewhat dependable. I know Polaris gets a lot of mixed reviews. I've really been leaning toward the Mule Pro line (mainly the MX series for the affordability and the ability to add a factory soft cab/heater at a reasonable price. I also really like the Can Am Defenders, but they get a bit pricey as do the Northstar Rangers.

I'm drawn a bit to Kubota as well given the fact that I feel like they way handle the work end of things better and with more long term reliability while sacrificing some of performance aspects some of the other brands have. I could probably get a new RTV 520 with cab, plow, etc., for well under $20k, but then again, I'm worried that might be a bit on the small side for the tasks I have. My driveway is straight and only has one little gradual incline before our house, but riding around on the rest of the property, we have some sections with some decent incline where engine breaking might be helpful as would wheelbase.

Anyways, suggestions from those with experience with any/all brands. I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV.
Look at the kawasaki mules. they arnt meant to be play toys, there work rigs.
Yeah, they are #1 on my list right now. I originally liked the FXT due to the 4 passenger capability with my family, but not sure about adding a cab to that. I know I can, but it gets pricey.

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #4  
I have a single set one myself…..use it every day.

Attachments

• BB325C1D-7B6F-46B2-A46E-DF0F488094FF.jpeg
    BB325C1D-7B6F-46B2-A46E-DF0F488094FF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
   / Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #5  
There are several good options and you will have to decide what works for your wants and needs.

I am happy with my Honda 700-4 but it may or may not fit your needs.

What I like:
1500 lbs towing capacity
1000 lbs dump on back, it is manual but works good unless you somehow overload it all up against the front seat
seats 4 and all seats are comfortable for average sized adults. Getting in and out of back seats is another issue.
2 or 4 wheel drive with locking diff.
It has a hand brake
It plows snow fine so far though I haven't used it a lot to know its limitations
Honda dependability
It has been a while but I bought mine new just under 10k

What I don't like:
The turn radius is like 32'. Maybe an issue for all UTVs but it doesn't turn on a dime
The honda 1000 has a turf mode where it disengages one, rear wheel so you don't tear up the lawn when turning.

Like all hobby toys, the purchase of a UTV is the down payment on all the accessories so consider what money you want left over to customize it as you want.
Winch, skid plates, LED lights, side mirrors, amp/speakers. None is necessary yet most people cannot resist the temptation. Good luck, others will have some other good choices as well.

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #6  
You don't need to answer, but if you are financing Kubota and John Deere (Gator) have zero percent. You will never get that from Polaris/Can Am/Honda/Kawi, etc.
And Kubota has KTAC insurance which is hard to beat as far as coverage goes.

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #7  
CF-Moto

I understand this is not one of the big 5 but for the money you get a ton more. They have some good components in there drivetrain Like CV- tech clutches . They are highly regarded in the Snowmobile world . If you add up everything you get with CF Moto you can't go wrong . Now if your willing to spend 20K Then get the Honda first for there direct drive ( no belts ) or a Yamaha . One other Awesome buy is the Kawasaki Teryx ! It's built like a tank and has the best warranty of big 5.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #8  
Kawasaki Mule is tough. We have a 2004 and it has survived 3 teenage grandkids. It shows it too. Nothing but brakes and tires, with regular maint. It tows, hauls and goes most anywhere. Tough critter, and a lot cheaper than most.

/ Looking for a work capable and light recreational UTV. #10  
If you are talking a cab model the prices have soared in the past couple years because of demand. Some fully optioned models are running north of $30k. I have a cabbed Can-am Defender and am very happy I paid the extra for the cab...this time of year it is priceless when the north wind blows.

I did a lot of research before buying the Defender. General consensus is that Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki are best for dependability. But it all depends on how much "recreational" driving you'll be doing. The Mule, the Kubota, the John Deere are not very good out on the trails because of limited wheel travel and engine response, but on the farm they work very, very well. As does the Yamaha Viking. My Defender is used mostly out in the mountains...it is nice to be able to roll up the windows when the wind is coming off the snow banks!
P1008297ertbn.jpg