Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms.

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
I need to put some stabilizers on my lift arms, because I had the frame of my 3pt dump bucket catching on the treads of my tire, and I really do not want to have to replace a tractor tire unnecessarily.

what do you use, and why do you prefer it?

thank you for any advice or tips!

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #2  
I've had both chains and the tube type. If properly adjusted, both work fine.
My chain type stabilizers were on a Deere 670 and 790...both "budget" tractors.
The tube type have been on "higher" end tractors....4400, 4520 and current 4052R.
IMHO, the tube types are easier to adjust, IF they're available for your tractor.
However, properly adjusted, either will limit sway to prevent chewing up your tires

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #3  
I prefer the heavy chain and turnbuckles... over tubular stabilizers
No keeping up with pins to drop in or getting the holes lined up exactly... Sure there are slot holes but that just promotes wear and tear..

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #4  
I prefer the type I used to have, which had turnbuckles. There wasn't chain involved, but I guess they would have worked just the same if there had been.

Now I have the tubular ones, which seem to be sold as some kind of premium advantage, but I don't like them as much. For most implements I like things snugged so there's no swinging back and forth, and that's hard to do with the tubular ones, or at least I haven't found a good way to do it. Maybe if I had some kind of clamp tool to hold the tubes telescoped in as far as possible before I drop the pin in, that would fix it.

With my 800 lb ballast box, it's like driving a truck with a big round load in the bed, rolling back and forth as I go around corners and slamming into the sides of the bed.

Hey, does anybody know how to fix this with tube type stabilizers?

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #5  
Hey, does anybody know how to fix this with tube type stabilizers?
I raise the implement up a couple feet and swing it back and forth until it's approximately centered, then slide the pin in the best fit hole.
The other side, I can't normally find a best fit hole, so I pin the slotted hole.
Raise and lower the 3PH to see if there's no binding and adequate up/down travel

Now, I have no ground engaging implements...just a flail mower, chipper and snow blower. Ground engagement might differ

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #7  
My SCUT uses turn buckels, adjustments are precision, not just "close enough"....

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #8  
I have had both turn buckles and tubes. Turn buckles suck, you really need a wrench to tighten the jam nut or else they come loose. I see no reason for a piece of equipment that you need a tool when theres tool less out there.

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #9  
My problem with turnbuckles is when I go to use them they are usually rusted and impossible to move. What should be a simple procedure turns into an hour with a pipe wrench and much swearing. I know I should keep them greased up but its just not part of my routine.

/ Looking for opinions re: chain stabilizers vs rigid tube stabilizers for lift arms. #10  
I prefer the tubes with the pins/holes. When it is easy a person uses them more. If a person is in snow country, they freeze up less than threaded things.