Looking to buy my first JD

/ Looking to buy my first JD #1  

jmrut

Tractor
Husq GT2254
Hi,

I've got a 16 year old Husqvarna mower that I'm ready to upgrade. It has been a good dependable garden tractor with no real problems. I have a 1.6 acre lot that is pretty level but does have a good slope for about 1/2 of the back. I've considered buying another Husq but I've read where they are going to stop making lawn tractors and focus on commercial stuff to I'm concerned about parts availability in the future.

Been looking at other brands, Cub Cadet XT2 series and JD. It bothers me that the Cubs are made by MTD (maker of most cheap mowers). On the other hand, the JD is much more expensive than about any other brand when you get similar features. I've never had a hydrostatic drive and seems like I need to move up in in price to get a better quality transmission (one that will last many years).

Hoping for some advice hear. Going to check out some JDs at the local dealer tomorrow. I was originally in the 4k price range but I now know that isn't feasible for a higher end model. Guess I'm wondering if I need to move up to the x500 series for the better tranny or will the x300 series do me fine? I don't expect to use it to do anything but mow and maybe pull an aerator and spreader a couple of times a year.

Also, are the MSRP the price you always pay or do dealers discount any? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Rut

/ Looking to buy my first JD #2  
Welcome to TBN. I feel that the X series in general have a good, solid build. Talk to the dealer about your slopes and your expectations. If you did well with your Husqvarna, you would likely do fine with whatever X you get. They will feel a lot more solid than your old tractor. I'm partial to the new 48" style. True, the higher you go up the food chain, the more robust the transmissions go. Certain X3 series can be serviced though, IE the power steering models. In lawn and garden, Deere has the best parts network I deal with. It is odd though to be hung our in the wind waiting for either MTD or HOP parts, but a couple times of year I wait for something from one of them.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #3  
I was told that the JD lawn tractors were made by MTD a while back. I don't know if that is still the case or how to verify it.

Since you are using it primarily for mowing, you may want to consider a ZTR capable of towing the spreader & aerator.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #4  
I was told that the JD lawn tractors were made by MTD a while back. I don't know if that is still the case or how to verify it.

Since you are using it primarily for mowing, you may want to consider a ZTR capable of towing the spreader & aerator.
Nope, worked in a JD GT plant in Wisconsin.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #5  

The 100 series you find at Lowes or Home Depot are MTD. Not the 300 up series.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #6  
If you want it to last;any brand as long as it has a decent transmission(K58 and up in numbers).I am not brand loyal but my 16 year old JD(with a K66) is still very good.Going to give it too my son and going to buy a Simplicty Conquest.Take a long hard look at Simplicty,not cheap but will last a very long time.

/ Looking to buy my first JD
I checked out the John Deere x570 today. Really liked it. Was surprised by the overall size. Now my concern is whether my outdoor storage building. This things weighs about 800 lbs. Should I be concerned putting this in the storage building with 2x6 floor joists? To make it worst, the doors are on the long side so the tractor's weight all be on the same joists front to back (the same direction the joists run).

Thanks

/ Looking to buy my first JD #8  
How big is the building and how long are the floor joists? It may seem like the weight is only one two joists, but if the flooring is properly fastened, it will distribute the load. On the other hand, 2x6 is not very large.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #10  
I was where you are last summer. I was deciding between a X394 AWS and a X584 AWS.

This video explains the differences across the X300 lineup. In the higher end, you get the better serviceable transmission.

I think the X390 compares well to the X570. The X570 does have another step up in transmission. It is also $1000 more.

I went with the X584. I liked the larger size and it was more comfortable to me (subjective). I also liked the fact it had the heavier duty transmission. That's not to say that I did not think the transmission the X394 would not have done the job.

If you wanted to save the $1000, I think the X390 would do a fine job for you and maybe address your concerns with your storage building.