Buying Advice Looking to buy my neighbor's Kioti DK50c

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Several years ago, a friend of mine was selling his (i think the year is) 2004 Kioti DK50C, and my wife wouldn't let me buy it (long story)- but I talked my neighbor into purchasing it. Now he wants to sell it as he is buying a New CAT tracked skidsteer. My neighbors and I share a 1 mile long driveway that we have to plow to keep open (400 inches of snow so far this year). So for the last few years I have been driving this tractor and it drives great with no issues. So he wants to sell it now. He wants $30k for it- but it has a lot of attachments that comes with it. It has 950 hours on it, and my tractor mechanic says it is a great deal. Here's what its got:

4wd w Cab
New chains on all 4 wheels
Gannon Box
Quick attach bucket on front
Articulating plow blade
Bucket
Grapple
Kioti Backhoe with 2 buckets
New Kioti PTO Wood Chipper
New PTO post hole digger with 2 bore sizes
Forks
Tires are in really good condition
The use of his trailer to haul it anywhere I want

The area I live in doesn't have a large population of people who own tractors. There is no farming here and most of the properties are in sub-divisions and they pay plow services to do their plowing. I tried to get a plow service to do ours, but no one is interested. They make much more money working the subdivisons than they would plowing our road. We used to have a plow guy who would do our driveway for $250 a time. If he was doing it this year, our bill would have been $5000 by now. The point being made, is there aren't a lot of used tractors locally, so prices may be higher. I need something with horsepower to keep our road open.

I figure I can do work locally with the tractor to offset the cost. I will most likely use all the implements.

Is the price reasonable? The mechanic said that if the tractor was posted in the paper with all those attachments, it would be gone in one day. And like I said, I have probably 50 hours running the tractor and it runs great. New, that tractor cost $27,500..... Also any known issues with the 2004 model?

Fair deal? Tractor Front L.jpg

Last edited:

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
4wd w Cab = $18,000
New chains on all 4 wheels = $500
Gannon Box = $1000
Quick attach bucket on front $0
Articulating plow blade = $1,500
Bucket = $0
Grapple = $1,700
Kioti Backhoe with 2 buckets = $5,000
New Kioti PTO Brush Chipper = $1,500
New PTO post hole digger with 2 bore sizes = $900
Forks = $300

$30,400

Is the price reasonable? New, that tractor cost $27,500.....Fair deal?

Just took a shot in the dark at my evaluations.

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
It doesn't look like a bad deal for either party.Big plus is that you have operated the machine and know it's capabilities and condition.That is low hours for the year.

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Actually, here are some photos of the attachments: A Backhoe.jpgA Bucket & Forks.jpgA Grapple.jpgA Post Hole Digger.jpgA PTO Chipper.jpg

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Several years ago, a friend of mine was selling his (i think the year is) 2004 Kioti DK50C, and my wife wouldn't let me buy it (long story)- but I talked my neighbor into purchasing it. Now he wants to sell it as he is buying a New CAT tracked skidsteer. My neighbors and I share a 1 mile long driveway that we have to plow to keep open (400 inches of snow so far this year). So for the last few years I have been driving this tractor and it drives great with no issues. So he wants to sell it now. He wants $30k for it- but it has a lot of attachments that comes with it. It has 950 hours on it, and my tractor mechanic says it is a great deal. Here's what its got:

4wd w Cab
New chains on all 4 wheels
Gannon Box
Quick attach bucket on front
Articulating plow blade
Bucket
Grapple
Kioti Backhoe with 2 buckets
New Kioti PTO Wood Chipper
New PTO post hole digger with 2 bore sizes
Forks
Tires are in really good condition
The use of his trailer to haul it anywhere I want

The area I live in doesn't have a large population of people who own tractors. There is no farming here and most of the properties are in sub-divisions and they pay plow services to do their plowing. I tried to get a plow service to do ours, but no one is interested. They make much more money working the subdivisons than they would plowing our road. We used to have a plow guy who would do our driveway for $250 a time. If he was doing it this year, our bill would have been $5000 by now. The point being made, is there aren't a lot of used tractors locally, so prices may be higher. I need something with horsepower to keep our road open.

I figure I can do work locally with the tractor to offset the cost. I will most likely use all the implements.

Is the price reasonable? The mechanic said that if the tractor was posted in the paper with all those attachments, it would be gone in one day. And like I said, I have probably 50 hours running the tractor and it runs great. New, that tractor cost $27,500..... Also any known issues with the 2004 model?

Fair deal? View attachment 499691

I too, am only guessing, but would say ...yes, it is a fair deal.
If you were to price it out new, with all attachments, from a dealer,+ tax, I think you might be pushing $40K.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Actually, here are some photos of the attachments:

I'm too high on the backhoe, it's closer to $3,500 or less. And that's only if you need it.

I'm not a fan of bucket forks either. But that's getting picky.

Anyway, now my total is at $28,900.

A man has to be careful about "bundle" deals. You'll buy attachments that you rarely, if ever use. For example, you list the chipper as "new" and there it sits under a tree. :)

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
The chipper has low hours on it. But it is where he left it. I can use it all. I may need to get a brush cutter.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Pictures usually make things look better than they actually are. That said, the backhoe appears to have been used a lot and worst part, it appears to have sat outside a LOT. So, assuming he bought it when he bought the tractor, it will start requiring repairs if used frequently. Especially hoses and cylinder seals.

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
So the neighbor has the machine but you use it all the time to keep the road open etc. He is going to get a new machine....which I assume he will ask/want you to drive to keep the road open.
I've see deals like this all the time- one party provides parts and the other labor- it's typically a win win. If it was me I'd keep that deal going- especially if you enjoy the seat time.
If the other party were to post his side of the story on this site I'd have one word for him- shrewd!

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
The guy who originally owned the tractor had it at a 2nd home ranch that he infrequently visited. None of the equipment was used that much. He kept the tractor inside, and apparently kept the backhoe outside. I use a back hoe a lot (even for "weeding"- a little overkill for weeding, but it saves my back).

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
So the neighbor has the machine but you use it all the time to keep the road open etc. He is going to get a new machine....which I assume he will ask/want you to drive to keep the road open.
I've see deals like this all the time- one party provides parts and the other labor- it's typically a win win. If it was me I'd keep that deal going- especially if you enjoy the seat time.
If the other party were to post his side of the story on this site I'd have one word for him- shrewd!

I didn't take it that way at all. The "other party" is buying a new CTL. Wish the neighbor I traded help with had a new CTL......

rgr33

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 950. LS g3033. Kubota RTV 900. Exmark Lazer Z
You have a need for this tractor and implements
You have the desire and funds
You have knowledge and experience using them
You trust the seller
Make him an offer , see what he says.

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Not quite that easy. The Cat is 100hp with a blower. He is going in on it with another neighbor who uses it in the summer for his excavation business. We all take turns doing the road. Up until now, I have been using another friend's 20 year old 16hp New Holland (without a cab) and it has been frigid. Been using that for 15 years. Below zero outside, icecicles hanging off my nose, neck cranked using a small pto blower on the back of that little tractor. Brutal life. So it boils down to I will be doing the grading and finish with the tractor and they will be using the blower to blow the snow far away.

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
I was curious if his pricing "was in the ballpark"... I think I got my answer. This is a pretty high rent district, and I trust my mechanics opinion- I just wanted to confirm with others if the price was close. He doesn't "need the money" and is quite well to do- his price is firm. I've got the money, and since the price is in the ballpark, I will probably buy it. Plus he will let me use his trailer to move it around, so that is one less item I need to buy right now. Any known issues with that year and model? Anything to be on the look out for?

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Also, if neither of them is around, I can use the CTL.... we're one big happy family here

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Also, if neither of them is around, I can use the CTL.... we're one big happy family here

That was my point.

I think you are on track and if the bulk of the attachments fit your needs, go for it!!! Update us on the decision with pictures of use of course. :)

rustyshakelford

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 5100E/H260/MX15
I would buy a new one and whatever attachments you need instead of all that stuff you might not need. It's 13 years old, things are going to start needing repair or replacement and I'd rather have a warranty and brand new. Even if it costs a couple thousand extra to get the attachments I'd say that's a better route.

Brett

Btown

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1920
The only issue that I'm aware of on the older DK's was the injector pump. I'm not sure if 2004 was included in the injector pump issue that some had. If you do a search you can find it.

DK35vince

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
The only issue that I'm aware of on the older DK's was the injector pump. I'm not sure if 2004 was included in the injector pump issue that some had. If you do a search you can find it.
Everything I've seen or read indicates the 2005 -2008 models had the injector pump issues.

ksbrdmkr

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN55S, DK45SE Cab,WD 45 Allis Chalmers 1955
When I buy at auction I try to pay as little as possible, when buying from neighbors/friends I try for a fair price or a bit over $ well spent.

Cat_Driver

Veteran Member
Tractor
2016 Kubota 4060, 2017 Tackeuchi excavator TB260
When selling price is so close to new common sense says BUY new. You get upgraded equipment, NEW tires, NEW engine, a warranty, plus you get what YOU want customers to your needs. It's a no brainer, drop a few K on a deposit in a new one.

Seller is not doing you an favors.

rustyshakelford

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 5100E/H260/MX15
When selling price is so close to new common sense says BUY new. You get upgraded equipment, NEW tires, NEW engine, a warranty, plus you get what YOU want customers to your needs. It's a no brainer, drop a few K on a deposit in a new one.

Seller is not doing you an favors.

I agree. Your talking about a 13 year old tractor!

Brett

EJP1234

Bronze Member
Tractor
2020 JD4066R, Cub Cadet GT2042, JDZ355E, and more Stihl products than I really need!
Doesn't sound like a deal to me.. and that backhoe looks beat to poo.

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Doesn't sound like a deal to me.. and that backhoe looks beat to poo.

Well, I pulled the trigger on it and got it. Good deal or not. The neighbor is a friend, so if anything bad happens in the near future, he says he will cover it. Hopefully, it all works out. The early indications from this forum and from the mechanic who works on it (who has worked on both of our equipment) says he thought it was a good deal. It is what it is. So thanks for the feedback. Our area isn't too "tractor friendly" and thus there really aren't many deals in new or used equipment. If I were on the east coast, probably every other town would have 10 dealerships, but not here.

Billrog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610, 580 SuperM Case Backhoe
I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase and get many years of good service from it .

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Sometimes we just gotta make a decision and go with it!!! Hope it becomes the best decision you've made!!! Congrats on the purchase!!!

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
You asked for thoughts on the purchase and several offered theirs, some may or may not have been what you thought you wanted to hear, but in the end you made the decision you felt was best for you. That's all that matters in the end, good luck and enjoy your new tractor. :) lots of great people here to help with any questions or problems you may have in the future.

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I think it is a fair deal especially with the neighborhood in mind. The BH doesn't look bad it just looks faded. No biggie. Several of the other implements look barely used. If you don't need all the other implements you could sell them.

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
To be honest, after I talked with the local mechanic (he said if I didn't buy it and the neighbor placed it in on craigslist for the price mentioned, it would be gone in a day), and then I posted on this forum and at first everyone said it was a reasonable deal, I pulled the trigger. Then came in the negative responses on the forum, and I though- GREAT, now look what I did.... But it is what it is. The mechanic seems to think it is in great mechanical condition. I think you are right on the BH- I've used it and it seems to work fine with not a lot of leaks. I've driven the tractor for maybe 3 years in the winter (borrowing it from my neighbor to do our shared snow plowing on our driveway). It's always started right up and worked fine. Now that it is mine, I am finding a bunch of little stuff that needs to be replaced (combination switch, the old work flood lights don't shine bright enough for me to see how close to the gravel the blade is when plowing snow at night, the radio & speakers suck, antenna broken, headlight fuse blown etc), so I am just futzing around replacing stuff and getting a feel for it. I am impressed by the ease of accessibilty of getting to parts to replace them. I am hoping that I got a fair deal, but at this point, it is what it is so I am moving forward. I may have to get some summer jobs to help pay it off, so the extra pieces will be helpful. I know it wasn't a GREAT deal, I'm just hoping it was a fair deal.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
It doesn't matter what a bunch of Internet loafers, me included, say. It's as good of deal as you think it is. And now, it's a done deal!!! Congrats on your new tractor!!! :)

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
Don't worry about the peanut gallery. We tend to consider only 1 in 100 deals "great" while in fact many used tractor deals like your own are really excellent. You know this tractor. It ain't a pig in a poke. You have operated the tractor, you know it fits and does the work you want. The implements all look great to me. I don't even see evidence that the grapple has been used and the chipper is essentially new. The post hole digger looks like it has had an easy life too. The only implement I didn't like was the clamp on forks and that's because I don't like clamp on forks. You got a very fair deal on a reliable tractor that you know will do the jobs you need to do. What else could you ask for?

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold
You did fine.

- can now start adding up what it was worth to you to have it available to do some work,
and after a few years time, it will actually start paying you every time another job is done. Eventually you end up with a tractor that has more than paid for itself and still has considerable re-sale value

Smile- you are now a tractor and multiple implement owner, welcome to the club:thumbsup:

OP
K

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Yeah, thanks for the follow up. My friend has a 16 hp new holland which he uses for landscaping and he says it has paid for itself dozens of times. I plan on keeping this one for a long time, and since I am retired, I can opt to do side jobs without worrying about "making a living" doing it. I have a lot of other irons in the fire, so everything should work out. Looking forward to using it this summer.