Loved Ones - Toyota

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #1  

Gator6x4

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3830
How many feel safe sending a loved one, wife, daughter or son of in one of the Toyota's that is experiencing the sudden acceleration problems? I am having a problem getting my mind around how the accelerator pedal could suddenly go into a wide open throttle position. I am sure the, (I think it was a Texas Patrolman and family that was killed) had enough experience with vehicles to attempt some action to dis-able the vehicle.

I read one article that stated the driver had no brakes, the brake light was flashing; she COULD NOT put the vehicle in Neutral. Toyota denies that there is any issue with the electronics.

Last edited:
   / Loved Ones - Toyota #2  
Ask yourselves how many of you felt safe transporting your loved ones around in exploding Ford mavericks, or Chevy Pickups with tanks that rupture. Every maker has had their problems and scandals.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #3  
If the gas pedal issue really bothers you--
Tie a cord to the pedal so that you can pull it back to the idle position.

Did I say I like KISS solutions?

/ Loved Ones - Toyota
I think the Ford vehicle was a Pinto. Based on previous safety recalls have we learned anything about trusting corporations when it comes to our personal safety?

ISSUE

Should a risk/benefit analysis be used in situations where a defect in design or manufacturing could lead to death or seriously bodily harm, such as in the Ford Pinto situation?

RULE

There are arguments both for and against such an analysis. It is an economically efficient method which has been accepted by courts for numerous years, however, juries may not always agree, so companies should take this into account.

ANALYSIS

Although Ford had access to a new design which would decrease the possibility of the Ford Pinto from exploding, the company chose not to implement the design, which would have cost $11 per car, even though it had done an analysis showing that the new design would result in 180 less deaths. The company defended itself on the grounds that it used the accepted risk/benefit analysis to determine if the monetary costs of making the change were greater than the societal benefit. Based on the numbers Ford used, the cost would have been $137 million versus the $49.5 million price tag put on the deaths, injuries, and car damages, and thus Ford felt justified not implementing the design change. This risk/benefit analysis was created out of the development of product liability, culminating at Judge Learned Hand's BPL formula, where if the expected harm exceeded the cost to take the precaution, then the company must take the precaution, whereas if the cost was liable, then it did not have to. However, the BPL formula focuses on a specific accident, while the risk/benefit analysis requires an examination of the costs, risks, and benefits through use of the product as a whole. Based on this analysis, Ford legally chose not to make the design changes which would have made the Pinto safer. However, just because it was legal doesn't necessarily mean that it was ethical. It is difficult to understand how a price can be put on saving a human life.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota
If the gas pedal issue really bothers you--
Tie a cord to the pedal so that you can pull it back to the idle position.

Did I say I like KISS solutions?

If the accelator pedal is the electronic type and not the old style conventional cable you can jerk it off the floor and throw it out the window and the vehicle will not slow down.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #6  
I have two Toyota's that in the recall. Do I worry about this, no I do not. Yes I Have told my wife what to do if this happens. Toyota has at least two different models of gas pedals. The one on my Camry has what looks like an old spokedwagon wheel emblem on it. The one in my Tundra has a Silver plate. This looking at the gas pedal from the drivers side (left) side of the pedal.

Yes they are electronic so your guess is as good as mine where the problem truely lies.

Ask yourself the question: How well did Toyota respond and what are they doing about it.

From my perspective they are doing what a reputable company should do. One stop production, two notify owners (I received two notices), three not rushing a band aid fix.

Roy

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #7  
I am seriously beginning to think this is a
witch-hunt by the Feds to help US automakers
regain some market share. EVERY manufacturer
has had recalls, millions of cars, and never have
they come out and said "stop driving your cars".
sounds fishy to me

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #8  
I'm still unclear about the cause. Toyota says it gets jammed on floor mats. My 83 Cavalier did that several times. Upon inspection I got better car mats.
Being older and wiser now, I think I would park the car until I understand the problem and know that it's fixed rather than let it happen repeatedly.

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #9  
Ask yourselves how many of you felt safe transporting your loved ones around in exploding Ford mavericks, or Chevy Pickups with tanks that rupture. Every maker has had their problems and scandals.

Thats true. And manufacturers have a duty and responsibility to remedy defects and protect the public.

In this case the 'public' includes more than just the vehicle owner.

How would you feel if you saw an out of control Camry coming head on at you at 80mph?

Might be a small risk of that happening but it could happen. The possibility is real. Toyota didn't undertake this action lightly. In fact, they put it off as long as they could.

There is substantial unrecognized danger to everyone on the road due to this manufacturer defect. :mad:

/ Loved Ones - Toyota #10  
Feb. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Count Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Wozniak among Toyota Motor Corp. car owners who say their vehicles accelerate unintentionally.

Wozniak’s 2010 Toyota Prius can unintentionally accelerate to as much as 97 miles (156 kilometers) per hour when he uses cruise control to increase his speed, he said in an interview yesterday. Toyota and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration haven’t responded to his complaints in the past two months on what may be a software-related glitch, he said.

Toyota was ordered today by Japan’s government to investigate brake-related problems in the latest Prius hybrid model. The Transport Ministry has received 14 complaints about the model’s brakes since it was introduced in May, said Masaya Ota, an official in the ministry’s recall division. The ministry contacted the company about the issue in August, said Shunsuke Miyaoka, who works in the same division.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a real problem and people should recognize it as such.

It's tempting for some of us to dismiss the claims and i'll admit I've looked at these recalls somewhat skeptically too.

Just keep in mind how many of these vehicles there are out there and what would you do if you saw one coming at you head on.