Low-cost Charcoal Grille?

/ Low-cost Charcoal Grille? #1  

grnspot110

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1944- H, 1961 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016- JD 2025R, 2018- JD X580
I'm in need of a "cheap" charcoal grille that will only be used about once/year at my Garden Tractor Trail Ride. Yesterday, I pulled this old non-galvanized water heater tank out of the ditch at the farm:

HPIM2470 (Custom).JPG

Tank is 13" in diameter & 43" long. The plan is to split it lengthwise, add hinges, handle, legs & probably two dampered chimneys. I have some used expanded metal to use for a briquette grate. Will probably use flattened expanded for the cooking shelf & an outside shelf.

I'm not after anything fancy, just need more grille space for the event.

Any suggestions? ~~ grnspot

/ Low-cost Charcoal Grille? #2  
I'm in need of a "cheap" charcoal grille that will only be used about once/year at my Garden Tractor Trail Ride. Yesterday, I pulled this old non-galvanized water heater tank out of the ditch at the farm:

View attachment 270668

Tank is 13" in diameter & 43" long. The plan is to split it lengthwise, add hinges, handle, legs & probably two dampered chimneys. I have some used expanded metal to use for a briquette grate. Will probably use flattened expanded for the cooking shelf & an outside shelf.

I'm not after anything fancy, just need more grille space for the event.

Any suggestions? ~~ grnspot

!That should work fine. In lieu of the expanded steel, you could probable find a couple of old gas grill racks whicch seem to outlast the rest of the units. Once you have a good hot fire it'll clean itself up nicely
:thumbsup:

/ Low-cost Charcoal Grille? #3  
:laughing:Need one of these, just turn it upside down over the fire. Lots of them around a parking lot in town.

Attachments

• shopping-cart-thumb7591778.jpg
    shopping-cart-thumb7591778.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 152