Low Sulphur diesel

/ Low Sulphur diesel #1  

smokey

In Australia they are bringing in low sulphur diesel as part of environmental requirements. A friend told me that this will shorten the life of the fuel pump seals as it does not lubricate as well as the older type of diesel. Is this true and has anyone have detailed information on this? I have a number of diesel engines including 2 Daihatsu Rocky 4X4, several Kubota and several MF Perkins powered tractors etc.

/ Low Sulphur diesel #2  
Yes it is true. The older pumps and seals do not do as well. You can overcome this by adding power service or another additive that has lubricating capabilities.

/ Low Sulphur diesel #3  
Boy, I remember when they did that here. I was working at Penske Truck Leasing and we changed a gazillion Cummins fuel pumps that were leaking.
I still think I could do that with my eyes closed.

/ Low Sulphur diesel #4  
IT's very true. It's also true that engines have been designed to tolerate it MUCH better. Happened here a good 10 yrs ago or so and I changed out dozens of Stanadyne pumps. Still have some of those trucks and the same pumps now run trouble free. Must have updated the seals and such in the rebuild kits for 'em. Think you'll be fine, but doesn't look like ya have a choice anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif