LP tank destruction

/ LP tank destruction #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I am trying to get the LP out of this 1/2 full tank and don't have any fittings that fit it to bleed the propane off. This tank has been hanging around my place for 40 years and I want to get rid of it. I didn't call a gas company yet to get their take on it.

I did set it up and blast it with a 22 to punch a hole in it. The bullets just bounced off. I was going to try popping a hole in it with a 30-30 from about 100 yards but am a tad chicken.

Any ideas other than saying that is a stupid idea.

IMG_20130712_191228_834.jpgIMG_20130712_191222_094.jpg

/ LP tank destruction #3  
I agree that a bullet will not make it blow up like the movies. Propane needs oxygen to burn. There is no oxygen inside the tank. At worse, the gas will ignite as it escapes. I would chain the tank to prevent it from moving like a balloon when penetrated. A full metal jacketed round, or steel cored penetrator from a .223 will do nicely. 25 yards with cover for the shooter is a good distance. One caution. a couple of gallons of propane will create a large cloud that will move downhill looking for an ignition source on a still day. A windy day helps dissipate the gas. Igniting the escaping gas is actually a good idea. The industry calls that "flaring" the gas.

/ LP tank destruction #4  
I agree that a bullet will not make it blow up like the movies. Propane needs oxygen to burn. There is no oxygen inside the tank. At worse, the gas will ignite as it escapes. I would chain the tank to prevent it from moving like a balloon when penetrated. A full metal jacketed round, or steel cored penetrator from a .223 will do nicely. 25 yards with cover for the shooter is a good distance

ditto this. propane needs a specific o2 mix level.

chain it to prevent movement and rifle it in a safe place.. that will deffinately let the air out of the baloon.

i'd feel a tad unsafe having an old pressure tank like that laying around too. who knows when it would corrode and decide to vent... that's when it would be dangerous....

/ LP tank destruction #5  
I would like to add, I hope you do not have neighbors close, as they may not feel good about it, but I would still think it is safe do do as long as the round doesn't ricochet and hit something

/ LP tank destruction #6  
Are you certain it does not contain butane? More energy in butane.

Just food for though from an internet rendition of the Wisconsin Statutes relative to what your neighbors might think:

\941.31(2)(a)
(a) In this subsection, "improvised explosive device" means a destructive explosive device capable of causing bodily harm, great bodily harm, death or property damage; with some type of explosive material and a means of detonating the explosive material, directly, remotely, ....

941.31(2)(b)
(b) Whoever makes, buys, sells, transports, possesses, uses or transfers any improvised explosive device, or possesses materials or components with intent to assemble any improvised explosive device, is guilty of a Class H felony.

Last edited:
   / LP tank destruction #7  
Are you certain it does not contain butane? More energy in butane.

Butane has more energy per pound but is at a lower pressure. Butane can be contained in a PET plastic soda bottle. Not a concern to the OP in my experience.

/ LP tank destruction #8  
Butane has more energy per pound but is at a lower pressure. Butane can be contained in a PET plastic soda bottle. Not a concern to the OP in my experience.

True, but are you going to guarantee him it won't go bang after he shoots it? Butane is heaver and settles to the ground in pools a lot easier. Something about temperature drop changing from a liquid state to a gas. But you may have more experience shooting LP gas containers, never done it myself.

/ LP tank destruction #9  
Greasemonkey ... I have a lot of experience working with butane. (that's how I got a soda bottle full of butane) Ideal situation is to have a valve to control the rate. Too bad for the OP his only option is to penetrate it, for uncontrolled flow. That's why I suggested flaring the gas once it is escaping.

In this context, propane is not an explosive, it's fuel just like gasoline. If I had his problem, I would just use a 1/16 drill above the liquid level and light the gas as it escapes. But that's me