LS MT125 50 hour service.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #1  

jdeilus

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT 125 (still waiting for delivery)
5 more hours before my 50 hour service. I will replace the two hydraulic filters and oil filters. Along with looking for more loose nuts and bolts. Should I remove the BH and FEL to do the service or can I leave them attached? Also is there anything else I should be looking for that you all have experienced? I did notice I was not hitting a grease zerk when greasing my Back hoe. It was hiding underneath. I am so glad I invested in a Milwaukee M18 grease gun.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #2  
Have hydraulic fluid on hand because you will be replacing it. There is no effective way to remove and replace the filters without losing most of it.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #3  
Use the shop vac trick to save most of the hydraulic oil....

Make an adapter out of duct tape to "fit" the hydraulic oil fill port (where the dip stick is) and secure a shop vac hose to that port. When you are ready to change the filter, turn on the vacuum. When you remove the filter, you will hear 'gurgling', don't worry..... put the new filter on, then turn off the vac. You will loose the amount of fluid in the filter, but that's about all.... maybe a quart at most!

Don't use a super-suction big vac... just a normal 5-6 gal size works great! I have used this method twice on my MT125, and twice on my XG3025, once on my neighbor's MT25-S..... worked perfect every time!

If you don't use a vacuum, prepare to loose about half the fluid and having a mess to clean up! .... like Diggin It said....

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #4  
Oh, .... and no.... you won't suck the oil into the vac.... unless you use a REALLY BIG vacuum....:eek:

Also, a quick tip... I found a piece of clear plastic/vinyl hose that fit into the fill port (I think it was 1" diameter, about 6" long). Then I taped that securely to the port, then taped the vacuum hose to that piece of hose. Then secured the vacuum hose to the upper link mount.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #5  
Another tip, I did not remove the rear tire to get access to the smaller filter. I changed the smaller filter from underneath. Just removed the little skid plate, then had easy access to turn it off / on....

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #6  
yes, the vacuum trick works. I completed my 50hr service (MT240) last month. Just had my wife hold the small shop vac onto the hydraulic fill port. The only fluid lost was from within the filter. It actually sucked air back in through the open filter housing, I could hear it bubbling, I was worried it would be filling the vacuum, but as noted above, it did not.
I had a couple FEL bolts and lug nuts that were still tight, but didn't meet the torque listing, that was about it. Even getting the factory painted on filters off wasn't too bad.
The FEL mounting brackets (the large structural tubes) limited access to the engine oil filter a bit, but is wasn't bad at all.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service.
am I reading correctly that I don’t replace the hydraulic fluid, just the filter?

/ LS MT125 50 hour service. #8  
   / LS MT125 50 hour service. #9  
I just went ahead and changed mine. For less than five gallons, it was no big deal.

/ LS MT125 50 hour service.
I still didn’t do my service yet. I got my filters and I’m going to pick up some oil. I want to change out my hydraulic fluid since my 50 hours were hard on my hydraulics with constant use of the FEL and BH. I don’t think my original question was answered though. Should I remove the FEL and BH for the service or can I leave them on. Will I have good access to the filters and drain plugs?