M-Series Snag!!!

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Anybody who has read my two recent threads Loader Arms Too Big and M8540 Loader Decision knows that I have been getting very close to getting a Kubota M8540. Well, yesterday I put in an application for financing. Kubota approved me but with one stipulation. I had to pay an unbelievable amount as a downpayment. So now I had to rethink my whole situation. Either wait on my tractor purchase, take out a loan from my dealer for the additional money down, or get a smaller tractor. Now truthfully, the M8540 is too big a tractor for my property. If there is such a thing. My wife wanted me to REALLY downsize. When I first started looking at tractors I wanted a standard shift transmission. So I quickly decided I wanted an M-series. I quickly went from the M5040 to the M6040 to the M7040. I stayed with the M7040 for a great deal of time. But the past few months I had decided I wanted the M8540 with a Quicke Q35 loader. So after this turn-of-events I went to my dealer today and spent about 2 1/2 hours there. At this point I have decided to get the M7040 with a Kubota LA1153 loader. I checked on the financing and approval was no problem. Turns out that Kubota's problem was that I was financing a 3rd party loader (Quicke) as well as a Rhino mower. By changing to a Kubota loader there was not a problem. I could actually probably even get the M8540 with the Kubota LA1353 loader with no problem. But I actually feel better by going with the M7040.

The M7040 is truly probably a more practical size tractor for my needs. I definately want a hydraulic shuttle though and my dealer has none. So he's been on the phone much of the afternoon trying to locate one.

It looks like I'll get a M7040 with hydraulic shuttle, 4WD, ROPS w/ canopy, rear and canopy work lights, 2 rear remote valves, and LA1153 loader with hydraulic self-levelling valve and 3rd function valve with a 72" bucket and pallet forks.

I actually feel better with the M7040 over the M8540. I think it will be more practical. The Cat I/II 3ph on the M7040 will allow for a wider range and less expensive implements than the obligatory Cat II hitch on the M8540. The only things I believe I would miss from the M8540 would be the F12/R12 transmission and the hydraulic brakes. The larger displacement, turbocharger, greater hp and torque, greater lifting capacity for both the 3ph and loader, and greater pump capacity would all be nice but probably not noticed for my uses. Also by getting the Kubota loader instead of Quicke loader I would have a universal skid-steer type interface as opposed to a "euro" style interface. I could then have the ability to use the numerous available attachments with universal skid-steer type interface.

I actually feel better and I am somewhat relieved. I am still somewhat concerned with the F8/R8 transmission though.

I'll tell you what. Buying a tractor is a thousand times more time-consuming and nerve-wracking than buying a car. But in my opinion it's a thousand times more important to make the right decision. If a car gets me from point A to point B without a major problem that's all I care about. But a tractor. . .that's a lifestyle!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to post all this for everyone's information and enjoyment. I guess I don't truly have a question but any comments or words of advice would be appreciated.

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Glowplug said:
I actually feel better with the M7040 over the M8540. I think it will be more practical. The Cat I/II 3ph on the M7040 will allow for a wider range and less expensive implements than the obligatory Cat II hitch on the M8540. .

My New Holland TN70A allows CatI/II implements. I have learned that it is not wise or possible to use all CAT I implements on my TN70A.
Bob

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Glowplug said:
It looks like I'll get a M7040 with hydraulic shuttle, 4WD, ROPS w/ canopy, rear and canopy work lights, 2 rear remote valves, and LA1153 loader with hydraulic self-levelling valve and 3rd function valve with a 72" bucket and pallet forks.

How much money did you save?
Bob

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Doc_Bob said:
How much money did you save?
Bob

Over 6 grand!! That's more than I thought I would. I was under the impression the M8540 was only about $2,500 more than the M7040 according to my calculations. That's one reason I didn't mind stepping up to the 8540, mainly for the loader and 12-speed transmission. But with that price difference I don't think they're worth it.

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
Chuck,
For your lot size, buying an M-series really seems to be jumping into the deep end of the pool....especially for a first time tractor owner. If you absolutely KNEW you needed that big a tractor or if you just had the cash lying around, it'd be different. But, with what appears to be minimal tractoring experience, it's impossible to know. Also, obtaining money for this buy appears to be an issue.

What you may be overlooking is that, on small properties, the small tractors are, in many cases, far more useful and enjoyable to operate than the big beasts. They can get into much smaller areas, can turn around much easier, can easily operate much closer to obstacles, and don't weigh so much that you have to constantly think about damaging the ground you travel over. Spending half a day seesawing back and forth to get into, turn around and leave a tight area will quickly cool one's 'big tractor' enthusiasm. Don't forget, with a bucket sticking out the front and a implement hanging off the back, even an L-series approaches the length of a full-sized pickup truck.

For 16 acres, I would be looking at the low end of the L-series (L3400, L3430) or even a B3030. Since you might have heavy work lined up, maybe you should aim a bit higher. An L4330 or an L5030 could be worth considering. Both are available in either GST (Gear) or HST and there are currently sales incentives in place to move them. Another choice might be an L4400 for plenty of power in a light package with gears and a trim price tag. If you have to sell down the road (maybe you needed bigger or smaller), any of these will be much easier to move than an M8540.

See how the smaller machine works out for you, then you will KNOW what you need without breaking the bank or giving the wife a reason to say, "Told you so.". Don't forget, big tractors need big strong implements that also cost big bucks and need big space to turn around.

I'd say, listen to your wife. She seems to have a good grasp of the issues at hand. It'll make things easier for both of you down the road.

Not trying to offend or be condescending here, Chuck. We all had to start out somewhere. Some of us grew up with tractors, others grew up with different advantages. Would hate to see you spend big $ on an M8540 and get discouraged by it when the same $ would've bought two of something that would've made you very happy.
FWIW
Bob

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I have to agree with Bob, an even smaller tractor would be more efficient for your size lot (even if you doubled it). However, I don't have any trouble understanding how you came to escalate up to the big M's. Tractors, like boats, are addicting, especially in the catalog/internet shopping phase of the purchase decision. Bigger is almost always more attractive on paper. However, it is good to catch yourself and rethink the whole deal before you purchase. I don't doubt you'd be happy with the M7040 but I still think you'd be just as ecstatic to have a beautiful Lxx40 series in your driveway with perhaps a couple of extra implements rather than extra horsepower. That said, I understand the emotional pull for "bigger, better". I'm grateful I've caught myself before buying a 46 foot trawler I didn't need or a 44 ft sloop that was just perfect when what I really was trying to do was find a boat I could sail around by myself. (Finally settled on a 24ft sailboat :) ). I think you would be every bit as happy sitting on an L as an M and I just cannot imagine that one of those L's could not manage every single task you have in mind. Good luck.

PS. Think of all the brownie points you would earn by announcing to your wife that you had considered her opinion and decided to downsize. That simple speech could keep you on her good list for a long long time.:D

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
You guys are absolutely trying to kill me!!!!!!!!:D
About a year ago when I first started looking at tractors seriously I checked out and researched the L-series. My dealer said he really didn't carry many of those but would be happy to help me out. Most of the buyers of tractors up around that dealer are farmers with significant Ag applications in mind.
I appreciate your advice but don't confuse me even more!:D
Besides, I'm trying to purchase the land beside of mine, 12 acres, for a total of 28 acres. It will require A LOT of work to get it in shape. I'd like to clear it, and eventually do some hay round bailing on it.

See ya!

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
I have 2 machines I use mostly. A Ford 2120 43hp and a New Holland TN75D 75hp Cat I/II. I routinely work on less than an acre at a time with the TN with no problem. In my opinion it's not the size of the lot that matters much, it's what you are doing. Round bale haying takes a good size tractor.

Andy

john_bud

Glowplug said:
You guys are absolutely trying to kill me!!!!!!!!:D
About a year ago when I first started looking at tractors seriously I checked out and researched the L-series. My dealer said he really didn't carry many of those but would be happy to help me out. Most of the buyers of tractors up around that dealer are farmers with significant Ag applications in mind.
I appreciate your advice but don't confuse me even more!:D
Besides, I'm trying to purchase the land beside of mine, 12 acres, for a total of 28 acres. It will require A LOT of work to get it in shape. I'd like to clear it, and eventually do some hay round bailing on it.

See ya!

Ok, You do have a smaller sized lot (even with the extra 12 acres). Clearing the land will require some power and a piece of equipment. But are you talking about grubbing out 36" oak stumps across all the acres? Then either of your choices are too small. Or are you talking about running a rough cut mower and planting seed? Then they are too big. Since we don't know what your land looks like (at least I don't), nor your goals including the amount of time you want to spend --we can't get real close to good advice. Only guesses and speculation. While fun for us, it's probably frustrating for you. Can you post some pictures of your land? Maybe even a sat photo link?

I am assuming that you have had machines in the L4330 range and the M range delivered to your property so you could test them out against your needs? Many dealers do that if you haven't.

Have you priced out the 3pt attachments? An 8' heavy duty rough cut mower with 4"-5" cutting capacity will run you in the 6+ grand range. If you need it you need it, but it's quite expensive if you don't NEED it. Cat II implements are much more $$$ than cat I. They are also larger.

Just for calibration, I have 15 acres I live on and an L3410 HST is a nice size. The L43 on up to L50 would also be fine. Much larger and for my land, it doesn't provide return on investment.

jb

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Glowplug said:

See ya!

Ah ha! I figured you likely had plans to add to your acreage. Actually, other than weight, you won't feel that an M series tractor is just too big once you get used to it. I say that about the weight because weight is the only issue with my larger tractor around my house. Like right now when the lawn is pretty soft, there is just no way I'm able to use a 12,000 pound tractor without making a huge mess. My rears are loaded on that tractor, and I'm about to unload them I think. That would put me closer to 10k with the FEL and mower. Even on my other property when doing heavy work, I'm not really sure that a couple thousand pounds is really making that big of a difference or not. I was more thinking of stability on some pretty steep hills, but I don't know.

Anyway, if you look through all the threads here I'd bet that the ratio of people going to larger tractors vs. the people going to smaller tractors is relatively significant. As a matter of fact, I can't recall off hand any thread on here where someone has gone down in tractor size. I'm sure there are some, but not too many. Also, it could get somewhat expensive to move up in tractor size about a dozen times or so if you keep missing by going too small. Besides, if you buy an M series tractor, you'll have more interest in purchasing the additional land, right? :)

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Actually the M7040 is a rather lightweight, small profile tractor for its hp when comparing it to JD5345, NHTN75, and especially Mahindra, etc.

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Glowplug said:
Actually the M7040 is a rather lightweight, small profile tractor for its hp when comparing it to JD5345, NHTN75, and especially Mahindra, etc.

Well, that makes it sound about perfect for you then. You have the power now and you can always add weight later if you find you need more weight for heavy jobs. It's a lot cheaper to add weight than hp.

So, when do we see pics of you sitting on your new tractor with a big smile?

tydp

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 4100, Kubota M5400, Kubota M9540
Dargo said:
Anyway, if you look through all the threads here I'd bet that the ratio of people going to larger tractors vs. the people going to smaller tractors is relatively significant. As a matter of fact, I can't recall off hand any thread on here where someone has gone down in tractor size. I'm sure there are some, but not too many. Also, it could get somewhat expensive to move up in tractor size about a dozen times or so if you keep missing by going too small. Besides, if you buy an M series tractor, you'll have more interest in purchasing the additional land, right? :)

I agree. I bet everyone recommending a smaller tractor has a smaller tractor, not that there is anything wrong with CUTS (unless there may be round bales in your future.) While I think the 8540 would be a bit large (need a big flat bed trailer to haul it due to width) the 7540 would be fine. Kubotas generallly have a short wheel base and are very manuverable. Weight shouldn't be a concern unless you plan on mowing your yard with it (which I doubt). Cat I implements will work on the 7540 and it will fit a standard 16 foot trailer. A larger tractor can do most all jobs a smaller one will do, not vice versa. I have never seen anyone I know say, "Gee, this tractor is just too big. I think I'll sell it and get a compact." Get the 7540, you won't be sorry.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
tydp said:
Gee, this tractor is just too big. I think I'll sell it and get a compact."

Yep.

I recently moved and need a much bigger tractor now. In fact I need two.
Had I not classed a size up to begin with, I'd really be in trouble.

Scary.
-Mike Z. :)

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
I don’t know how much of your 16 acres you keep pretty but I think any of the tractors you have mentioned will be to big for those areas. Also don’t know what kind of clearing is required on the other acreage but Ag/Utility tractors just don’t remove stumps of any size well. Sounds like for hay work the tractors you’re looking at would be great. Now hay equipment for haying 25 acres is going to take many, many years to pay for it’s self. If you plan to hay others properties, then you are going to need a serious hauling rig to move that big stuff around. Hay work doesn’t pay that well unless you are doing hundreds of acres.

Personally, I would be looking more toward a backhoe for the clearing and a tractor with 30+ PTO hp to pull a 6’ mower. Then again, I have two backhoes and don’t use them commercially so who am I to talk.

Good luck on the purchase,

MarkV

tydp

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 4100, Kubota M5400, Kubota M9540
MarkV said:
I don’t know how much of your 16 acres you keep pretty but I think any of the tractors you have mentioned will be to big for those areas.]MarkV

I don't understand. Is 16 acres not enough space to turn a 7540 around in? Too small to mow with a 6 or 7 or 8 or 10 foot bush hog? I am not trying to be difficult but just how is it too big? I cut the 3 or so acres aroung my house with an M5400 or M9540 (which ever has a bush hog on it at the time.) They aren't too big.

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
tydp said:
I don't understand. Is 16 acres not enough space to turn a 7540 around in? Too small to mow with a 6 or 7 or 8 or 10 foot bush hog? I am not trying to be difficult but just how is it too big? I cut the 3 or so acres aroung my house with an M5400 or M9540 (which ever has a bush hog on it at the time.) They aren't too big.

Well of course your right, my Grandfather mowed most everything with an ag tractor and a rotary mower. In my situation I finish mow about an acre and the size tractor we are discussing would do way to much damage with my turf and soil conditions. I should have been more specific, everyone’s situation differs.

MarkV

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
tydp,
I can turn a NH8970 around in much less than an acre....if it's open field; so 16 acres ought to be plenty for turning a M7540....if it's kept open. But if there's trees, structures, gardens, swimming pools, fences, shrubbery, parked vehicles, and other stuff that people generally crowd onto their homestead; it can get challenging. Constantly watching what the bucket is swinging towards while trying to remember to check where the implement in back is going, gets tiresome. So does fixing what gets hit.

Plus, because of tight quarters, there are some jobs a small tractor can do easily that a big tractor can't do at all.

That's why it would be nice to know more about Chuck's property and plans. All we know at this point is that he plans to buy a big tractor and maybe do some haying.

On 52 acres and doing some haying (square bales), I got by with 35HP & 2WD and felt I was in 'high cotton' with 52HP. Maybe Chuck would find square bales easier to handle at first. If he does get into serious haying (it's always serious when the hay is down and thunderheads start forming), it won't be long before he'll want more than one tractor. If the first tractor was a bit small, it can be relegated to raking, moving wagons and backup duty if the big one fails.
FWIW
Bob

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Here are my planned tasks since everybody's so curious and doubtful:
  1. "Mow" 16 acres with 10' bush hog every 2 weeks. My pasture grows extremely fast and I have no horses, yet.
  2. Pull out 1.5 miles of 50 year old 3-plank fencing, fill in holes, and replace about 3/4 mile with 4-plank fencing.
  3. Remove hundreds of 3 - 4 inch saplings along fence lines.
  4. Plow, subsoil 2 acre garden
  5. Move dirt and general landscaping with 84" hydraulic scarifier box blade.
  6. Excavate (eliminate) 2 acre outdoor riding arena by removing 6" x 1 acre of sandy soil.
  7. Use removed "soil" for landscaping, backfilling, fillin in fence post holes.
  8. Occassionally snowplow 300' ashphalt driveway and 3/4 mile asphalt private road.
  9. Renovate, level 16-28 acres of pasture with 9' lift disc and cultipacker, planting seed with Herd spreader, and spraying fertilizer and weed killer with boom sprayer.
  10. Double the amount of fence and sapling removal if I aquire the extra 12 acres
  11. Hopefully round bailing hay on approximately 2 acres with Vermeer Rebel bailer. This is mainly for hobby, and for the neighbors horses, not for profit.

That's a few of the tasks I have planned. I have little time to spare to spend 40 hours per week on a tractor, mowing 16 acres every two weeks by pulling a 6' mower.

I have driven the M7040, M8540, and L-series. I don't know of many dealers that would be willing to bring a tractor to my property to try some heavy loader work or ground-engaging activities. I do not like the transmission on the L-series. That's just me.

I have a spreadsheet of the dozen or so implements I want to eventually get and don't yet have with exact prices that I have obtained from dealer quotes.

Eventually, once cleared of fences and saplings, my property will be essentially wide open rolling pasture. Now I do have some decent size trees between 6 and 18". I plan to have these removed with an excavator. Total number is approx 50 on the 16 acres. Double that for the extra 12 acres.

I don't plan on getting any other tractor, probably in the next two decades, so I had better be satisfied with the size.

I plan to, at some point, go ahead and obtain approx 200 acres of land in the country. I would plan to keep this mowed and eventually retire and build a small home on it.

Also, I will take it to my inlaws home probably a half dozen times a year for land clearing and brush hogging. They have about 50 acres, partially wooded, somewhat rolling mountainous.

As far as a big tractor on small property goes, why don't you ask Soundguy's opinion. He has a tractor for almost every acre he owns. Has about 12 acres, 9 tractors, largest tractor is 95hp. Just a comparison observation.

Like I said, I have been planning to buy a tractor for about 3 years now. During the first 2 years I had occassionally sat on some tractors and looked at spec sheets. But for the past year I have researched and studied this on a nearly daily basis.

I thought maybe some of this information may help some of you guys that want to know so much about my land and plans and are saying I don't know what I'm doing getting such a "big" tractor.

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
tydp said:

I think the argument is more in line with the following analogy: if you are using a road vehicle primarily to commute and go to the grocery store, then do you really need an F350 or Hummer? Of course those vehicles can do the job but they are not the most economical or best matched to the primary tasks. If you are also hauling a horse trailer on weekends that is different.

With the tractor, I don't doubt commercial farmers would all have big Ag machines and would use them to care for a 16 acre plot. Glowplug, like most of us on TBN, is not a farmer but a professional and is buying a tractor to maintain his 16 acres of pasture and will also potentially clear an additional 12 acres in the future. He has not really documented any task that is the equivalent of "towing a horse trailer" in the analogy above to suggest that he really needs the bigger machine. No hay work for example. Clearly the M is a great tractor but the question is whether that is the equivalent of buying an F350 just to commute. Dargo pointed out some of the downsides to the bigger tractors, the primary one being weight. Size can be a disadvantage in some situations so that should be in the equation too. I presume the M7040 costs a bit more than an L too.

The "get a smaller machine" crowd (I'm one) is simply arguing that there is nothing he is proposing to do that cannot be handled easily with a 40-50hp CUT such as an L4640 or L5030 etc. Spending the extra $$ on a backhoe for example might actually be more useful for his tasks, current and future, than just adding tractor size/hp.

My final point is that Glowplug mentioned that his dealer just doesn't stock the L's and therefore he was essentially educated primarily about the Ms from the start. As his dealer doesn't even stock or advocate the bigger CUTs, there was an initial bias in his decision making (I recognize this is a bit presumptuous on my part) towards the M. If I recall correctly, Glowplug never owned a tractor before, and would therefore be relying on his dealer (and all the various yahoos here on TBN:D ) for his advice. It is hard to reverse oneself after you've set your sights on bigger and better and spent so much time mulling over details (as Glowplug surely has) but it is sometimes the right thing to do. I'm really just arguing that he should take a clean sheet of paper and reconsider the size issue completely rather than just retreating one step back from the M8540 of his dreams.:)

It will be interesting to see what Chuck decides. In the mean time I am going to hop into either my F350 or Hummer and run down to the corner store to buy some eggs and milk.;)

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
By the way, I am not purchasing this tractor just to get a few jobs done and to get them done with the cheapest tractor I can get by with. Some people buy antique cars. Do they use them for transportation? Many people I know buy boats, motorcycles, and even airplanes. Are they a necessity of life? A couple of my colleagues drive (commute) in their $125,000.00+ Porsches and Mercedes as their primary vehicles. Oh, and both of those guys have Ford F350s as their secondary vehicles.

A lot of this has to do with what I want. It's a bit of a hobby and lifestyle for me. Some guys drive their expensive cars and spend their freetime playing golf. Me, I drive a Dodge pickup and spend my free time working on my land. . .for enjoyment. . . .as a hobby!!

n8wrl

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Glowplug said:
[*]Excavate (eliminate) 2 acre outdoor riding arena by removing 6" x 1 acre of sandy soil.

That's what I need to put IN!

Life's too short to wring your hands all the time. You like the M? Get the M. I probably have much more tractor than I need but I'm having a ball with it.

Enjoy!

-Brian

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
n8wrl said:
That's what I need to put IN!

Once I get it all piled up I'll package it up and mail it to ya!!:D I'm sure the postage wouldn't be too much on 900 cubic yards of dirt!!

Or, on second thought, maybe I could just drive it down to you. I could then drive a few miles across the state line and visit my folks! That may be cheaper but probably more torture in the long run.:D

Oleozz

Veteran Member
Tractor
International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader
I've read many of your posts and when I first started reading them I thought to myself, "Wow, this guy is out of touch with reality." BUT, after reading on I got the feeling that you really wanted to do all the research and make the right decision and you truly enjoyed thinking and talking about tractors. With all that said I think you should get what you want, the M7040 sounds like the right size and I bet you will be extremely pleased with it. Good Luck.

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Oleozz said:
"Wow, this guy is out of touch with reality."

LOL! Man. . . .I don't think ANYONE has ever said or thought that about ME! I'm being serious. This thread has become a real eye opener. I wonder if anyone out there has thought that I may be psychotic or something!:D

. . .you really wanted to do all the research and make the right decision and you truly enjoyed thinking and talking about tractors.

Now that statement, yes, many people have told me that! Just about everyone I know knows that I am obsessed with tractors. My secretary even got me a toy tractor for Christmas!!

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
Glowplug said:
By the way, I am not purchasing this tractor just to get a few jobs done and to get them done with the cheapest tractor I can get by with...... A lot of this has to do with what I want.

Fair enough.

n8wrl

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Glowplug said:
Once I get it all piled up I'll package it up and mail it to ya!!:D I'm sure the postage wouldn't be too much on 900 cubic yards of dirt!!

Or, on second thought, maybe I could just drive it down to you. I could then drive a few miles across the state line and visit my folks! That may be cheaper but probably more torture in the long run.:D

I'll send you directions! This project is definately in my future.

BTW my other-other hobby is home theater, for which there are many boards like this one. One guy posted about how he discussed his home theater hobby with his wife, to which she responded, "buying things is NOT a hobby!"

Have fun!

-Brian

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
" I don't plan on getting any other tractor, probably in the next two decades, so I had better be satisfied with the size."

I think the issue is right there. A tractor is a tool. Like a hammer. I have lots of hammers - from little tackers up to 8 pound sledges.

Get a tractor based on your best judgement now (which is what you are developing). But be open to the idea of trading up or down later as your tasks for it change.

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
In my case I had a Z28 zero turn for mowing, a 50 hp massey ferguson, and a four wheel steer g1800 mower. The deciding factor for me was to mowe the acres quicker now that the kids are out of the house and it is left for me to do. So got the M7040 and a 15 ft woods mower and that has cut down my mowing time significantly all the while I am in comfort in the cab and on the air suspension seat. Sure the the MF will do the job but at a lot less speed and comfort. Also the ability to run an 8 ft snowplow is good so when the snow comes I am ready in the heated cab. It is not about payback like for a commercial venture it is about comfort, satisfaction and fun. Thats why some people drive BMWs, mercedes etc and others drive chevys

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I have a 2003 New Holland TN70A on 15 acres. Weighs around 5800 pounds. AG tires. Power shuttle. The thing is a "beast". I demoed a Kubota Grand L3830 and a NH TC40DA on my land. Both are fine machines. If I had purchased either one, I would have been very happy. Then I got a great deal on the TN70A (used). I have no regrets at all! The TN70A will do work that the Grand L3830 and the NH TC40DA would take a lot more time to do. I move a lot of dirt, wood chips, and compost. The lift capacity of the FEL is outstanding. I pull a 3 bottom plow with ease. The 6' rotary cutter has power to spare. I have an 84" snow blower. I am a HP "junky". If I could have purchased a TN85 I would have done it in a heart beat. But I am "stuck" with a 70HP tractor :D :D :D .

The point is, you will love the power. Buy "big" it if you can afford it.

Start a thread and ask folks if they wish they had purchased a bigger or smaller tractor then the one they now own.
Bob

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
m7040 said:
It is not about payback like for a commercial venture it is about comfort, satisfaction and fun.

Amen!
Bob

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
m7040 said:
it is about comfort, satisfaction and fun.

Completely - and a huge part of the fun is shopping for the tractor. The hunt is the thing. It's almost a let-down when the trigger is finally pulled. This thread is already on its second or third chapter - and several more are possible. Bet Chuck hasn't even considerd Landini yet.

Last edited:

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
Chuck, go with the M7040, I was going to agree with you about getting the bigger M8540 up until you mentioned having to transport a few times a year to your in-laws 50 acres. The M7040 will be an easier move.

I think what a lot of people here on TBN forget is that a lot of us just don't have the time to get some of these projects done in a lackadaisical time frame. If we are lucky we might average 5-6 days a month to work on our property.:( We have a lot to do and not enough time to get it done in. Yes it could be done with a smaller tractor, heck, it might even be more fun with a smaller tractor. But it simply takes to much time to get some of this stuff done.

Myself as an example. I have 80 acres, 70 of it I try to disk twice a year. Mostly for fire protection, but I sure like the way it looks when its done.:) The 1st few times that I did it, it was taking about 2 1/2 hours per acre,:eek: a long time when you only have the weekends. I got a bigger tractor and bigger disk and now have it down to about 35 minutes per acre. Guess what, still to slow, now thinking about a 140 hp tractor with bigger disk. This all for something that only needs to be done a couple times a year. Yes it can get done with a smaller tractor, but do you have that much time.

I know that you have a lot of different tasks to do once you finally get your tractor. Don't go to small, the last time I looked around nobody was getting any younger. If you find that there are a few things that can't be done because of the size, the smaller tractors aren't much more than some of the implements that you will be buying.;)

Get the M7040 and GO TO WORK!
Just my thoughts, and they are worth what you paid for them.

PS, I forgot to tell you that the 7040 is a great looking tractor

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
So glowplug do you feel better about the M7040??

Sully2

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
MtnViewRanch said:

I think what a lot of people here on TBN forget is that a lot of us just don't have the time to get some of these projects done in a lackadaisical time frame. If we are lucky we might average 5-6 days a month to work on our property.:( We have a lot to do and not enough time to get it done in. Yes it could be done with a smaller tractor, heck, it might even be more fun with a smaller tractor. But it simply takes to much time to get some of this stuff done.
And on top of "time constraints" let toss good old mother nature into the mix...with unusally high rainfall..!

I have a back yard..thats "about" 1/3 acre. Brick blown clay...totally shaded in the summer. GRASS DONT GROW!. Decided to do it all into flower beds. Dug down about 4 inches and filled in with top notch composted topsoil built up about 6 inches higher than ground. Planted Hosta's...ferns...coneflowrs to beat the band. Got about 3500 SQUARE FEET of grass to plant in the "aisles" between beds. NADA! Never got it done. Never had but one week that it didnt rain and make super glue gumbo out of the clay pathways...which when it did dry meant back to disking to break it back up..and get ready to seed....LOL..LOL..RIGHT!

I spent tooooo many hours inside holding a cup of coffee..looking out the window hoping it would stop raining! *sigh*...maybe this year???

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I think a lot of the earlier posts were obsessed with looking at the hp. If I would've said I was going to get the L5030 there would not have been so much hollering that I was buying too "big" of a tractor. So the L5030 is almost 50 hp. I would seriously consider the M5040 at about 47 hp. It has essentially exactly the same frame, dimensions, footprint as the M7040. The L5030 actually weighs 4090#, the M5040 weighs 3968#. What?!?!?! An M-series tractor weighs LESS than an L-series?!?! The M7040 weighs 4608#. A relatively light tractor for 68 hp. The size dimensions between the M5040 and the M7040 are all within 1 or 2 inches. The Mxx40s appear to actually be rather "compact" for their power. So they're really not that "big". They pale in comparison to comparable hp tractors such as New Holland and Mahindra. The only problem I have with the M5040 is that it doesn't have cast wheels or limited slip differential like the M7040. So it's not all about horsepower. I really feel that some of the guys look at the situation from the outside and see me as some young newbie whipper-snapper with visions of massive horsepower in his eyes, who's not really a farmer but a professional, buying a big tractor for his "estate" because it would be the cool thing to do. Let me tell you, that's just simply not the case.

I had a long drive today to some of my relatives in eastern Kentucky. I was on the road for over 2 hours. I started thinking that maybe they were right. Maybe I SHOULD seriously consider the L4330 or L4630 again. I thought about this for a long time.

I have looked at this situation from all different angles. When I try to think about this whole thing objectively from an outside point of view I think that anyone with 16 acres would be best served with something in the range of an L4330. I would think it would be overkill for that person to get an M-series. I even forget that I have "only" 16 acres since I am looking at the M7040. The M7040 seems like the right tractor but the fact that I'm talking about using it on 16 acres just isn't logical. But when I gaze out across my land and visualize a tractor on it things change. Me, on an L-series tractor on my land just doesn't seem right out there. It just seems unnatural and uncomfortable. It seems like a square peg forced into a round hole. On the other hand, when I visualize me on an Mxx40 series tractor on my land doing some chores it just seems right. It seems like it was meant to be. It is though me, my land, and the M7040 were made to go together. I know this may sound like a bunch of psycho-babble fluff. You may think that I've lost my mind and finally gone off the deep end. You can feel free to think that if you want. But I believe there's actually a lot more to buying a tractor than just looking at spec sheets, prices, planned tasks, and land size then matching someone up with a tractor based almost on a mathematical formula. A very large portion of tractor buying is feel and instinct. And for me, my gut feeling and instinct tells me to get the M7040.

aesanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with loader, Simplicity Conquest garden tractor, BCS 830 2 wheel tractor, Gravely Pro-Turn 160 XDZ.
Glowplug said:
Hopefully round bailing hay on approximately 2 acres with Vermeer Rebel bailer. This is mainly for hobby, and for the neighbors horses, not for profit.

It's your life and I hope you get the tractor that you like. That said, for 2 acres of hay, this is the last thing in the world I would ever do. Even if you had your full 28 acres in pasture to round bale, I still wouldn't do this. Way to easy to find a local person to come in and round bale for you.

I've done a lot of haying in my day, and for the upkeep of the equipment just is not worth it in my mind. The nostalgia would soon pass and then the reality of the situation would soon set in.

Also, someone mentioned that most people get larger machines over time and few get smaller. Well I'm one that got way smaller. Have one of the smallest tractors around and could easily do most of the jobs you mentioned with my tiny tractor. I've owned large Steiger's and large Cat loaders and full size backhoes etc. Too many to count. That was in my last life when I use to dairy farm. Now I am happy with just tooling around with my itsy bitsy machine. Find it challenging to see what I can do with it. I've been clearing some old fence rows lately with trees around 1-4" in diameter. A couple larger one's still are left for later. Just finished putting in around 600 feet of 4 board fencing.

I'd agree with some other's that you could take care of all 28 acres with an L series machine quite easily, but also can see your point of getting what you want. I'D SAY get the M since this is what you have your heart set on. I'd still recomend avoiding the baling though.... Just my 2 cents.

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Now I am happy with just tooling around with my itsy bitsy machine. Find it challenging to see what I can do with it.

Well good for you. Let's see. You have six acres with a very "tiny" JD2320. Let's say your pond is 1 acre. That leaves you with 5 workable acres. The 2320 is 24 hp. Now I have over three times the land as you. So, to extrapolate hp per acre that means an "itsy bitsy" tractor for me would be . . . .72 hp! :eek: Hmmm, kinda makes one think.:D

I'm just yanking your chain.;) I know it's not possible or practical to make comparisons like that. But I am definately not looking for a tractor challenge. I don't want to see if I can push it beyond its expected limits so that I can surprise myself all the while risking possible frustration leading to failure. I am in the same situation as "MtnViewRanch". I need something that can get things done, get 'em done efficiently, and work for me so that I continue to find "work" a pleasurable hobby. I'm not in this to cut cost margins, or to see what the least tractor is I can use to accomplish my tasks, no matter how long it takes. I feel kind of like I'm starting to repeat myself (all over again). :rolleyes:

I respect and appreciate your advice on bailing hay. Thank you very much. That may very well be something I decide to pass on.

john_bud

Glowplug said:
I think a lot of the earlier posts were obsessed with looking at the hp. If I would've said I was going to get the L5030 there would not have been so much hollering that I was buying too "big" of a tractor. So the L5030 is almost 50 hp. I would seriously consider the M5040 at about 47 hp. It has essentially exactly the same frame, dimensions, footprint as the M7040. The L5030 actually weighs 4090#, the M5040 weighs 3968#. What?!?!?! An M-series tractor weighs LESS than an L-series?!?! The M7040 weighs 4608#. A relatively light tractor for 68 hp. The size dimensions between the M5040 and the M7040 are all within 1 or 2 inches. The Mxx40s appear to actually be rather "compact" for their power. So they're really not that "big". They pale in comparison to comparable hp tractors such as New Holland and Mahindra. The only problem I have with the M5040 is that it doesn't have cast wheels or limited slip differential like the M7040. So it's not all about horsepower. I really feel that some of the guys look at the situation from the outside and see me as some young newbie whipper-snapper with visions of massive horsepower in his eyes, who's not really a farmer but a professional, buying a big tractor for his "estate" because it would be the cool thing to do. Let me tell you, that's just simply not the case.

I had a long drive today to some of my relatives in eastern Kentucky. I was on the road for over 2 hours. I started thinking that maybe they were right. Maybe I SHOULD seriously consider the L4330 or L4630 again. I thought about this for a long time.

I have looked at this situation from all different angles. When I try to think about this whole thing objectively from an outside point of view I think that anyone with 16 acres would be best served with something in the range of an L4330. I would think it would be overkill for that person to get an M-series. I even forget that I have "only" 16 acres since I am looking at the M7040. The M7040 seems like the right tractor but the fact that I'm talking about using it on 16 acres just isn't logical. But when I gaze out across my land and visualize a tractor on it things change. Me, on an L-series tractor on my land just doesn't seem right out there. It just seems unnatural and uncomfortable. It seems like a square peg forced into a round hole. On the other hand, when I visualize me on an Mxx40 series tractor on my land doing some chores it just seems right. It seems like it was meant to be. It is though me, my land, and the M7040 were made to go together. I know this may sound like a bunch of psycho-babble fluff. You may think that I've lost my mind and finally gone off the deep end. You can feel free to think that if you want. But I believe there's actually a lot more to buying a tractor than just looking at spec sheets, prices, planned tasks, and land size then matching someone up with a tractor based almost on a mathematical formula. A very large portion of tractor buying is feel and instinct. And for me, my gut feeling and instinct tells me to get the M7040.

Glowplug,

I carefully read the posts from start to finish. Didn't see where anybody thought you were off the deep end for wanting the big M tractors. (they are nice machines.) Once you listed your objective of cutting 16 acres 2x a month and not wanting to spend your life at it, the M70 or M85 made a lot of sense. But, if you want to transport it on a trailer to do work off your property or on your country land, then the M85 may be too big to transport. That would put the M70 at the head of the list.

The final "nail in the coffin" is the fact that you actually LIKE the "M's" better. Nothing wrong with getting what you like.

Oh, just reminding you that I did say,
john_bud said:
"we can't get real close to good advice. Only guesses and speculation. While fun for us, it's probably frustrating for you."

From some of your later posts, it does seem that you are about fed up with our wisdom and especially our lack thereof.

jb

Oops! I checked the Kubota web site and the M8540 is not too big to trailer. It's only 5500#. Figure 7500# with loaded tires, 9500# with the loader on it. You would need a 24-26' gooseneck with 16,000# rating to haul it and a couple attachments around, but that's not so bad. You won't even be close to the CDL cut off of 26,001#. If you current dodge is a cummins, then you're already in fat city, just hook up and haul it home!

And for those wondering, the turning radius is just a touch over 13' for the M8540. That's tight enough for all your chores, even if you never go beyond your current property size.

Now go out and stimulate the economy!

jb

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
Back in the '90's Kubota's L3 tractor model line had "grown" to the point that the biggest one, the L5450, weighs 4300 pounds and has a 60 hp 5-cylinder engine. With LA1150 loader and ballast it is close to 8,000 lb. To my mind it's a perfect combination of power, strength, and weight - enough to do anything, but still reasonably compact. I found one for sale and pounced on it.
Some people said it was a beast, a monster, way too much tractor, etc.etc but the only person who can really decide that is its owner. To me its the perfect tool.
Stay true to your mission, Chuck - forget all the horsepower/acreage theories - get the one that feels right to you.
As always, prompt cheerful refund if advice is bogus. Take care, DickB

Last edited:

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
The L5030 actually weighs 4090#, the M5040 weighs 3968#.

Ooops!! I caught my own mistake. When I was looking at the L5030 that was the cab model. The L5030, non-cab model, actually weighs about 3700 pounds. So if you compare ROPS to ROPS it doesn't look like there is a Grand L tractor that weighs more than an Mxx40.

But I do know that the M5040 - M7040 all have the same body dimensions. The 5040 weighs 3968# and the 7040 weighs 4608#. A lot of that may be slightly bigger displacement, limited slip front differential, and especially those cast wheels.

Now comparing the Mx040 series to the L5030. The M tractors are 10" longer, 6" wider, 2" taller, with a wb of 6" more.

I just wanted to clarify that little mistake of mine. I didn't want there to be false data floating around out there due to my fault.:eek:

n8wrl

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Glowplug said:
... And for me, my gut feeling and instinct tells me to get the M7040.

Your only obligation at this point is pictures! I just got in from a few hours of bush-hogging 6-7 acres we recently bought and it was wonderful seat-time. All this agonizing is keeping you from having the real fun - go get the M, and post pix!

Happy new year.

-Brian

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
glowplug this is the kwik-way snow plow 8 ft with quick attach and power angle

Attachments

• IMG_0062 (Small) (3).JPG
    IMG_0062 (Small) (3).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 233

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
n8wrl--You got a deal there!:D I'll probably start a new thread.

m7040--Thanks for posting the pic of your snowplow. That photo should go in Kwik Way's brochure. Very nice and professional looking. But I'm assuming that wasn't taken recently. Something tells me that the grass in Maryland is not still that green. I don't know why there's not a way to post pics on personal messages. I'll add that to my list of possible implements, along with the 10 or 12 others!:D

I talked to my dealer today. He said he located an M7040HD in Lexington. Just hasn't had time to go down and get it yet. Too bad Monday's a holiday. So close, but yet so far!:(

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
this was from mid summer this year from our place in maryland. Have tried it out (without snow) and works great. The angling is easy with the bottons on the FEL joystick

john_bud

Glowplug said:
I talked to my dealer today. He said he located an M7040HD in Lexington. Just hasn't had time to go down and get it yet. Too bad Monday's a holiday. So close, but yet so far!:(

If Albert Einstein was correct about time being relative, this is now the start of the longest holiday weekend in the history of the universe....for Glowplug anyway!

jb

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
Chuck, one last thing, and maybe you are already going to do this and I've just missed it, GET ALL OF YOUR REMOTES AT TIME OF PURCHASE! 3 for the rear, and an electric button controlled one on the loader for that grapple & or snow plow. You will thank all of us that have suggested this when the need arises, and it will.;)

Good luck on Tuesday and try not to forget anything.:)

OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
MtnViewRanch said:
GET ALL OF YOUR REMOTES AT TIME OF PURCHASE! 3 for the rear, and an electric button controlled one on the loader for that grapple & or snow plow.

That's the plan man. That's what's gonna make it take a little longer than Tuesday. The loader will need to be changed to one with the self-leveling hydraulic valve; canopy and lights will need to be added; 3rd function remote added to FEL, etc. So don't think that come Tuesday I'll be posting pics here immediately. It's got two rear remotes, he said he could put on 3. I think the cost for another rear remote was about $540. I still don't know when I would NEED 3 rear remotes unless I hooked up a top 'n' tilt and used it with a box blade with hydraulic scarifiers. So I'll probably just stick with 2 rear remotes for now. It CAN be added later should the need arise.

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Glowplug said:
I still don't know when I would NEED 3 rear remotes unless

Another remote is like more HP. Once you have it, you will find a use for it.
Bob

Dargo

Tractor
Gees, has this thread grown! I haven't read it in a while (and am too short on time to go back), but has maybe some others possibly agreed with me when I bucked the trend and said the M class wouldn't be too big? If I recall, I was the first to say it wouldn't be too much and just figured that I'd be flamed for saying so when everyone else had advised smaller. (maybe subconsciously that's why I'm bothering to read all the posts since)

So, what size is the baby gonna be? ;)