M-Series Snag!!!

/ M-Series Snag!!!
By the way, I am not purchasing this tractor just to get a few jobs done and to get them done with the cheapest tractor I can get by with. Some people buy antique cars. Do they use them for transportation? Many people I know buy boats, motorcycles, and even airplanes. Are they a necessity of life? A couple of my colleagues drive (commute) in their $125,000.00+ Porsches and Mercedes as their primary vehicles. Oh, and both of those guys have Ford F350s as their secondary vehicles.

A lot of this has to do with what I want. It's a bit of a hobby and lifestyle for me. Some guys drive their expensive cars and spend their freetime playing golf. Me, I drive a Dodge pickup and spend my free time working on my land. . .for enjoyment. . . .as a hobby!!

/ M-Series Snag!!! #22  
Glowplug said:
[*]Excavate (eliminate) 2 acre outdoor riding arena by removing 6" x 1 acre of sandy soil.

That's what I need to put IN!

Life's too short to wring your hands all the time. You like the M? Get the M. I probably have much more tractor than I need but I'm having a ball with it.

Enjoy!

-Brian

/ M-Series Snag!!!
n8wrl said:
That's what I need to put IN!

Once I get it all piled up I'll package it up and mail it to ya!!:D I'm sure the postage wouldn't be too much on 900 cubic yards of dirt!!

Or, on second thought, maybe I could just drive it down to you. I could then drive a few miles across the state line and visit my folks! That may be cheaper but probably more torture in the long run.:D

/ M-Series Snag!!! #24  
I've read many of your posts and when I first started reading them I thought to myself, "Wow, this guy is out of touch with reality." BUT, after reading on I got the feeling that you really wanted to do all the research and make the right decision and you truly enjoyed thinking and talking about tractors. With all that said I think you should get what you want, the M7040 sounds like the right size and I bet you will be extremely pleased with it. Good Luck.

/ M-Series Snag!!!
Oleozz said:
"Wow, this guy is out of touch with reality."

LOL! Man. . . .I don't think ANYONE has ever said or thought that about ME! I'm being serious. This thread has become a real eye opener. I wonder if anyone out there has thought that I may be psychotic or something!:D

. . .you really wanted to do all the research and make the right decision and you truly enjoyed thinking and talking about tractors.

Now that statement, yes, many people have told me that! Just about everyone I know knows that I am obsessed with tractors. My secretary even got me a toy tractor for Christmas!!

/ M-Series Snag!!! #26  
Glowplug said:
By the way, I am not purchasing this tractor just to get a few jobs done and to get them done with the cheapest tractor I can get by with...... A lot of this has to do with what I want.

Fair enough.

/ M-Series Snag!!! #27  
Glowplug said:
Once I get it all piled up I'll package it up and mail it to ya!!:D I'm sure the postage wouldn't be too much on 900 cubic yards of dirt!!

Or, on second thought, maybe I could just drive it down to you. I could then drive a few miles across the state line and visit my folks! That may be cheaper but probably more torture in the long run.:D

I'll send you directions! This project is definately in my future.

BTW my other-other hobby is home theater, for which there are many boards like this one. One guy posted about how he discussed his home theater hobby with his wife, to which she responded, "buying things is NOT a hobby!"

Have fun!

-Brian

/ M-Series Snag!!! #28  
" I don't plan on getting any other tractor, probably in the next two decades, so I had better be satisfied with the size."

I think the issue is right there. A tractor is a tool. Like a hammer. I have lots of hammers - from little tackers up to 8 pound sledges.

Get a tractor based on your best judgement now (which is what you are developing). But be open to the idea of trading up or down later as your tasks for it change.

/ M-Series Snag!!! #29  
In my case I had a Z28 zero turn for mowing, a 50 hp massey ferguson, and a four wheel steer g1800 mower. The deciding factor for me was to mowe the acres quicker now that the kids are out of the house and it is left for me to do. So got the M7040 and a 15 ft woods mower and that has cut down my mowing time significantly all the while I am in comfort in the cab and on the air suspension seat. Sure the the MF will do the job but at a lot less speed and comfort. Also the ability to run an 8 ft snowplow is good so when the snow comes I am ready in the heated cab. It is not about payback like for a commercial venture it is about comfort, satisfaction and fun. Thats why some people drive BMWs, mercedes etc and others drive chevys

/ M-Series Snag!!! #30  
I have a 2003 New Holland TN70A on 15 acres. Weighs around 5800 pounds. AG tires. Power shuttle. The thing is a "beast". I demoed a Kubota Grand L3830 and a NH TC40DA on my land. Both are fine machines. If I had purchased either one, I would have been very happy. Then I got a great deal on the TN70A (used). I have no regrets at all! The TN70A will do work that the Grand L3830 and the NH TC40DA would take a lot more time to do. I move a lot of dirt, wood chips, and compost. The lift capacity of the FEL is outstanding. I pull a 3 bottom plow with ease. The 6' rotary cutter has power to spare. I have an 84" snow blower. I am a HP "junky". If I could have purchased a TN85 I would have done it in a heart beat. But I am "stuck" with a 70HP tractor :D :D :D .

The point is, you will love the power. Buy "big" it if you can afford it.

Start a thread and ask folks if they wish they had purchased a bigger or smaller tractor then the one they now own.
Bob