M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #21  
I want something a little more powerful to run my flail mower without bogging down.

Transmission choice will have no effect on power transmission to PTO powered implements.

I stand by this post. The proposal that HST transmission will negatively affect pulling a flail mower is silly.

HST might limit pulling a heavy Disc Harrow or other ground contact implement sunk in the ground, but not a flail mower which rides on rollers.

Last edited:
   / M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #22  
The shuttle shift on the M4 is basically a HST in your hand. But he's on a manual tractor now so a clutch wont be mystery...unlike most kids these days.
"basically" is not the same thing

I went from an 8n, to a geared L now to a MX with HST and wouldnt have it any other option for what I do other than HST.

Maybe HST is important to him and he overlooked the fact that the M dont have it, or maybe it isnt important. Hence why I posed it as an "IF" statement so he could offer feedback

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #23  
For what it is worth, I have had several BX and B series tractors and now a L 3560 and I could not be happier . The extra weight and wider track makes all the difference. I only gained about 12 hp but the weight difference larger hydraulic package is a significant upgrade while still having a tractor I can maneuver in tight places . I run a 72 in. Finish mower as well as a front bucket and I’m satisfied

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #24  
Having had an L4630GST before I got the M and used it for the same operations, I can unequivocally state, that an M is far away a more "able" tractor for all actions compared to a comparable L series.
They are just bigger, heavier and stronger.
I don't do any ground engaging work so I can't comment on that but commercial scale logging does not faze it a bit.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #25  
When I upgraded I looked at several brands/models. I choose the Kubota M6040. Mind you - it's not the IDEAL tractor. It's the best compromise I could find. Sometime I wish for bigger - occasionally I wish for smaller.

The way I have it set up now - weight is 10,100 pounds.

IMG_0009.jpeg

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #26  
A HST has slightly less rated PTO HP than the same model with a geared tranny. The HST charge pump is constantly running & tapping a bit of HP. Not enough to notice I'm sure, but ratings are different by up to a HP or so from Kubota & elsewhere.

Under way a HST is about 15% less efficient than a geared machine. However the flexibility of a HST can overcome that in many cases. In a geared machine, you pick a gear that won't stall or bog the machine & that's what you have unless you stop & shift. On a HST you press the go pedal until the RPMs drop a bit. You can vary the go pedal constantly to keep the machine tapped to the limit despite varying ground or brush conditions. Makes precision work with a loader or implement trivial too. You can do it with a geared machine, but precision work & lots of direction changes are faster with a HST.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #27  
It’s been posted many times but I guess once more won’t hurt.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #28  
It’s been posted many times but I guess once more won’t hurt.

The ONLY think that that video proves is that a HST in High range isnt made to pull very much. But in NO WAY is it an accurate comparison that would make some think a gear tractor can somehow pull more or heavier stuff, let alone almost 3x as much. Because I pull a 3-14 plow with my MX5100 HST. So by that math I sould be able to easily pull a 8 or 9 bottom plow had I gone gear :ROFLMAO:

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range #29  
The ONLY think that that video proves is that a HST in High range isnt made to pull very much. But in NO WAY is it an accurate comparison that would make some think a gear tractor can somehow pull more or heavier stuff, let alone almost 3x as much. Because I pull a 3-14 plow with my MX5100 HST. So by that math I sould be able to easily pull a 8 or 9 bottom plow had I gone gear :ROFLMAO:
I think it would have been a better comparison if they did the most effective pull with each. At a cruise speed doing work (brush hogging hills or baling) I think there would be a marked difference in speed and efficiency. I’ve got an MX HST right now and I love it, I’ve got the M4 Shutle and love it. There are things geared tractors do better and things HST tractors do better. If the focus is with what you’re doing on the working end of the tractor I think it’s gear for the win, if your focus is the Swiss Army knife side then it’s HST.

/ M vs. L series in 45-60 HP range
Fwiw, I've been avoiding hst for the same reasons I'm not wanting a fel--I've got a skidsteer and much prefer that tool for material moving. I don't plan to do a lot of dirt work with a fel on the tractor. I do however want decent 3pt lift capacity, since my Bobcat 743 only lifts about 1500lbs before I put the prowler tracks on it.

I'm hearing a lot of folks that switched from L to M and are very happy with the change. I think I'll continue to lean in the M direction but will no longer snub my nose at the L or MX that come up.

Thanks for all the input everyone!