M5 steering noise vibration

/ M5 steering noise vibration #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
I have a M5-111 with about 200 hours that has started having noise and vibration when steering, worse at high RPM’s. I’ve been doing a lot of PTO work at 2000 rpm (=540 PTO) but today running hi idle I notice the noise and vibration with every little steering movement. No, the front wheels are switched off. It almost sounds and feels like somebody failed to lube for 5,000 hours. Anybody have any thoughts?

/ M5 steering noise vibration #2  
My simplistic initial thought is to check and make sure every in the steering areas is nice and tight - no loose or missing bolts, connections, etc.

/ M5 steering noise vibration #3  
Sounds to me like pump cavitation. Fluid level up to full? You might check the suction side (hose / pipe) for a pinhole as well. I presume your hydrostatic steering and hydraulic pump are separate like mine are on my M9's. Could also be a loose fitting on the orbital steering slave unit on the suction side. All it takes is a little air in the fluid to cause a vibration or jerk like feeling in the steering.

/ M5 steering noise vibration #4  
The only thing I would add to what 5030 said is that you should check the condition of the oil after running the engine for a while. Does the oil have air bubbles in it, does it look milky? When was the last time it was changed?

/ M5 steering noise vibration #5  
My 7060 did that at about 200 hrs. The hydraulic pump had already began failing and the metal shavings clogged up and caused power steering pump to fail. Had to be a design problem to fail on a new tractor. It was repaired under warranty

/ M5 steering noise vibration #6  
Check for loose hoses or bolts, then start thinking about a hand pump.
My 126X had wandering steering and similar noises that started when the tractor was still like new. Dealer tried to fix, but I think it was a stall tactic to avoid replacing pump

Last edited:
   / M5 steering noise vibration #7  
Any good news on your steering issue? Hopefully still under warranty.

/ M5 steering noise vibration
Still seems the same. Only notice when under light conditions. Tractor gets switched from cutting to raking to baling. Only notice on the light, boring raking. First used in April, now has a little over 200 hours. Maybe nothing but I wondered if other M5 owners noticed same thing.

/ M5 steering noise vibration #9  
Is it like a high-pitch buzz/whine when you steer?

/ M5 steering noise vibration
Yes, but only notice it high engine speed and low load, hot oil, and doing the most boring job - raking hay - where I would recognize something different than on my other tractors because raking is so absolutely boring a person has time to ponder the little things.