Tractor Sizing m6040 vs hst L5740

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #1  

nebraskasparks

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
Torn between a bigger tractor with more strength and bigger engine M6040 vs the convenience of the hst on the 5740.

I have 14 acres, organic garden produce and bees and always moving trees for firewood. I'm always moving bee equipment and everything else. I have rented smaller units (40hp) from NH and JD and though they work nicer than my old 53 Jubilee, they didn't have the guts moving some of the heavy stuff including a lot of old trees that I'm dealing with and will continue to deal with in the future. We heat with wood so I'm always grabbing trees and moving them to my cut pile. Dealer priced 5740hst at 39k which includes FEL, Grapple Ford, canopy with lights. The M6040 with the same options came in at 40k. I'll be moving a lot of weight with the trees and that's my biggest concern with the smaller 5740.

I use the FEL and will use the grapple ford all the time. a woods tiller for my large garden spring and fall, post holes for fence, woods bush hog for hay field. I need to move snow at various hours of the day/night but hired it done because the Jubilee is like a large sow on ice. It doesn't work.

All Ears
Greg

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #2  
I prefer the HST over a shuttle shift.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #3  
I bought a L5740 with 447 hours and foamed rear tires that I take delivery of tomorrow. :D We have several very large debris/tree piles that I'lll be working with for the foreseeable future. If I develop an operator's opinion to your question(s), I'll post.

For what it is worth, while researching and testing the L5740, M5040, M6040, and M7040, I noticed that the 854 front loader of the L5740 had essentially the same lift capacity as the 1153 loader of these M series. The foamed tires essentially make the L5740 as heavy as the larger M series. To obtain a stronger loader, I would have needed to buy the 1353 loader that is available for the M8540, M9540, L48, M59, or a third party loader such as offered by Quicke. The L48 did not have the pto power that I wanted; the M59 was a bit more than I wanted to spend, and the Quicke loaders were tough to find locally and nearly impossible to find used as a package with a well equipped low hour tractor.

I have ordered an Ando utility grapple for moving the debris piles that are mainly trees. After reading as much on TBN, I liked the weight-to-strength (< 550 lbs with 3000psi cylinders) of the Ando versus the much heavier models (950-1100 lbs with 3000 psi cylinders) available by other manufactures since the difference in weight is then put to use on heavier loads versus. I doubt that the Ando model is a sacrifice of strength/durability especially given the use with wood matierals versus demolition debris that tends to be concrete and steel. Again, I read as much by a TBN poster.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #4  
That is a tough call. About how big/weight of trees are you pulling, what distance, how often?

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #5  
I am a newbie - in fact I don't even have my tractor as of yet. We chose the dealer, crunched the numbers, selected the tractor and are in a holding pattern. We are told once the driver comes back from his current delivery - our tractor should be next on the list - early next week is our hope - she is described in my auto signature.

Anyway, I heard many pro's for the L5740 and the M5040, M6040, M7040 too. The one thing that rings over and over in my head is that one statement about 'buying extra tractor and having it just in case vs buying less of a tractor and wishing for more'. Basically I went with my gut... I am pretty certain I made the right choice.

Good luck either way!

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #6  
The L5740 will work well for you. I took delivery of mine last March, 4WD HST Cab Tractor with LA854 loader, HD round-back bucket, 3rd function valve and 2 rear remotes.

Also included were:
ANBO, GR-S Grapple Rake (66")
Bush Hog, Rotary Tiller, Reverse (RTNR80)
Land Pride, Top-N-Tilt (L8326)
Land Pride, Disc Harrow (DH1872)
Land Pride, Rotary Cutter (RCR1872)
Construct. Attach, Pallet Forks (48")
Land Pride, Hydraulic Auger (S35)
Land Pride, Fertilizer Spreader (FSP700)
Land Pride, Quick Hitch (QH15)
Land Pride, Seed Bed Roller (SBR72)
Land Pride, Box Blade (MR1572)

The L5740 handles all of these implements with ease. My favorite is the ANBO grapple. It stays on my tractor - except for when I need to use my auger. I've carried a 25 foot, 15" diameter hardwood log up a 25 degree incline with this set-up. Slowly of course - not for lack of tractor HP or clamping force of grapple - just playing it safe. Smaller logs (e.g., 6"-10" diameter, 10 ft. lengths) can be picked up by the bunch and toted wherever.

IMHO, the L5740 has more than enough power to handle your logs. It's the grapple that will set your limits. Should add, however, adequate counter balance is critical. When space is tight, I mount my rotary tiller. In more open spaces and carrying a heavy load, I attach my rotary cutter.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740
Thanks fellas,

Your insight sold me on the hst. I saw a 5740 on tractor house and went to look at it. 355 hours, cab, front tires worn bad and found out that it was used for grapple work so obviously a lot of turning and twisting but I loved the tractor and the bucket did lift a lot of weight. Handles a lot better than the old 53 jubilee! Getting to old to muscle around the beast with the fel.
I have to work around a creek, I have a couple of big inclines so I'll be ordering weights for the rear or attaching a piece of iron on the back. It had no problems moving trees so I think I found the answer.

Now to part with wallet: Thanks for all your help guys.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #8  
Congratulations on your tractor decision, I think you will really like it. If I ever manage to wear my L5030 out, it will be replaced with an L5740. Of course, I also like my M8540, just depends on what you need in one.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740
Thanks for all the input...I went and drove the 5740 and enjoyed the experience.The fact that I have a creek that runs through the property that I mow near moved me toward the hst option versus the 6040 with a creeper gear package installed. I parted with cash today and should take delivery in about ten days with hydraulics added to the back and FEL with heavy duty round bucket. I couldn't justify the cab especially when I needed more equipment but did get the canopy option.

I beat up a Howse brush cutter the past 8 years and went for the Woods BB7200. It's a tank and will last my years on this property.

Ordered the Anbo GR-S grapple for all the trees I move. Excellent advice on that purchase. The implement dealers were moving me to cheaper ($600) units but the reviews on the ANBO were superior especially in the metal they use for construction of the units. Metal prices are supposed to go up again (or is it that the dollar is becoming worthless????) within the month so glad I ordered now.

Still looking at tillers for the time being.

The pole barn to park all the stuff is a week from being finished:laughing: The demand for our organic produce and our honey exceeds what we can produce.

Thanks for all your input...really made the decision process easier.

/ m6040 vs hst L5740 #10  
Don't forget the pictures. The Woods BB7200 is an excellent piece of equipment, you won't tear that thing up.