Machining metal parts

/ Machining metal parts #71  
Etpm is correct that glass scales are more accurate. CMM machines use glass scales, but the are also typically used in a clean environment. If you can keep the scales clean, and get the exact length required for your application, then they are a gpod option as well.

It is intetesting to see how the glass scales are produced, if you are interested. Very vibration sensitive during the laser engraving.

Last edited:
   / Machining metal parts #72  
Looks like my little Rockwell 1hp has a 3 axis X,Y,Z movement of 24"x6.5"x2.5".
In mm that is roughly 610x165x64 mm.
Since the table and quill are very accurate, I'd prefer resolution to 0.0002" ...but could live with .0005.
I doubt if I get .001 setting repeatability with the original hand dials.
rScotty

/ Machining metal parts #73  
Looks like my little Rockwell 1hp has a 3 axis X,Y,Z movement of 24"x6.5"x2.5".
In mm that is roughly 610x165x64 mm.
Since the table and quill are very accurate, I'd prefer resolution to 0.0002" ...but could live with .0005.
I doubt if I get .001 setting repeatability with the original hand dials.
rScotty
It only has a 2.5" quill travel? In any case, I'd keep it simple if I was you, get x and y axis glass.

For the quill (z axis), just get a caliper type. This is the one I have mounted on my precision matthews: 6" Vertical Digital Machine Scale

/ Machining metal parts #74  
No, it doesn't have much quill travel. I end up raising and lowering the table when I need more travel. Surprisingly, it will hold a couple of tenths (0.0002") when doing that.
I like the caliper idea.
thanks.

/ Machining metal parts #75  
Be sure to get magnetic scales, not glass (optical). Mag scales can be cut to length and coolant doesnt affect readings. Get as fine a scale as you can afford.

I’d rather have an old Bridgeport with glass scales than a new made in China with magnetic scales. They don’t have all of the features of the current displays but if you come across a good mill that has them, there is no reason to fix what’s not broken.

Not many home/hobby guys run flood coolant anyway.

/ Machining metal parts #76  
There is often a big difference between Taiwan made machines, and Chinese made. Do your homework.

Good to see so much interest, and so many machinists here. Count me in as 1.

/ Machining metal parts #77  
Taiwan machines are great. My second one getting it’s official re-commissioning from the factory boyz this next week.

Attachments

• 0D0A0538-D905-48D4-806E-3A805587796A.jpeg
    0D0A0538-D905-48D4-806E-3A805587796A.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 79
   / Machining metal parts #78  
All the machine tools in the world are about as good as a brick if you don't have the proper education to use them. That is coming from a card carrying Journeyman Tool maker.

/ Machining metal parts #79  
There is often a big difference between Taiwan made machines, and Chinese made. Do your homework.

Good to see so much interest, and so many machinists here. Count me in as 1.
That's pretty much been the golden rule since the 90's at least. It's changed somewhat now, with respectable American or European quality control onsite at *some* of those Chinese factories. You get what you pay for is definitely still a thing. Like Grizzly and Enco, their green machines where generally poorer quality than their white machines. I don't even think Enco still exists as a company. In any case, both my Trak lathe and Precision Matthews knee mill are Taiwan machines. Although I will say that the PM mill is just a little janky for a Taiwan machine, no biggie with anything, just general observation on various things on it. For a Taiwan built machine, a Sharp it is not.

But with all that said, the OP is a newbie, and like I said before here...if you just wanna churn out some parts you could do it on an el cheapo harbor freight chinese pos. And do so for many years on one of those things. There's a bunch of hobby machining message boards with dudes on there using such machines quite well, with lots of advice on how to tweak them here and there as needed. Get you something you could afford, just read some reviews to make sure it's not a total pos before buying it.

As for proper education like 5030 said, I'm gonna give some pushback on that. Define proper. In my humble opinion, youtube and just time spent on the machine is proper enough to get going.

Last edited: