Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue #1  

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
'16 Mahindra 2538
Hey guys,

My 2538 won't physically shift into the LOW gear range. The lever moves, but I can't move the lever far enough forward for the linkage to engage the low setting on the tranny. The lever ends up hitting the metal deck plate under the seat, before it travels far enough.

I tightened up the lever, which was loose, and inspected what little linkage I could see, but there doesn't appear to be any adjustment to it, other than a separate linkage that controls the "creep" that we sometime see in HST's. (the good news is I eliminated the creep I had before)

But no joy on getting the tranny into Low gear range (Med & High work fine). Low worked too when I could shift it into the low range. This is a relatively recent development, and no mods have been made under the tractor to affect the shifter.

All ideas are appreciated.
Thanx

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue #2  
When the lever doesn't want to "go"... Lean and let off on the fwd pedal just to move the tractor a few inches. lever shifted into low fine after that

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue
Thanx R134a. I've tried that several times.

It's not that the lever doesn't want to "go", it's that there isn't enough travel room for the lever to move the linkage sufficiently to engage the low range gear. the lever gets stopped out on the metal plate below the seat.

I think I need to adjust the linkage, or the lever position, or both, but can't find any adjustment features on the lever or the linkage.

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue #4  
I have the same issue on occasion. I read on the Facebook group that the lever needs to be bent a touch. I haven't done it yet...

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue #5  
I have the same issue on occasion. I read on the Facebook group that the lever needs to be bent a touch. I haven't done it yet...
That's what I was thinking too. Also make sure the linkage and cross shaft are lubed. :thumbsup:

/ Mahindra 2538 HST low gear range issue
Well after an hour or 2 of puttzing around with the lever, and trying to bend it, I gave up and did the sensible thing. I took my grinder and "expanded" the slot in which the lever moves by about half inch. That did the trick. It now shifts cleanly, and positively into the low gear range.

Thanx to all who gave me input and ideas.