Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #1  

YanmarFever

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010C- Branson 4520r- 5520C- Yanmar FX235-D - Bad Boy rogue mower
I have a 6' spray arm on our 5010 with cab, when ever I hit the electric on - off switch for the spray arm the tractor shudders like its under heavy load.
Does anyone know of where we can get a heavy duty alternator to fix this problem?
An after market would work to. :unsure:

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #2  
How many amps does your spray arm pump draw? A bigger alternator may not "fix the problem". Tractor Data indicates your tractor has a 50amp alternator and an 80ah battery. But it doesn't list maximum watts.

Things like wire size and length of run plays a part too.

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator
I have to check on it. It only does it when I turn on the switch.
Also when I turn on the emergency flashers the engine rpm changes up and down a small amount.
The arm on & off switch is connected to the battery
Maybe it just has a weak output ?

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #4  
You can put a big 12v DC capacitor on the sprayer to take the startup surge out. A bigger battery would help too if you can fit one. But it kinda sounds like your alternator might be getting weak.

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #5  
Or your battery is also getting weak. 50 amps on a cab unit isn't all that much. My Kubota cab unit has an 80 amp alternator.

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #6  
The 60a alternator on my Kubota cab tractor doesn't have much output (if any) below 1000rpm engine speed or so. Are you experiencing these issues at idle?

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator
Yes the issue is at an idle, I just might try a new alternator and a big azz battery to fix it.
If the tractor rpm goes up and down with the emergency flashers on as the lights blink, even at 1500 rpm, it might be time for a new alternator.
Guys, I really appreciate your reply's ! :)

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #8  
If the engine rpm is varying with a changing electrical load it is because it is making more electricity.
The generating load is what is causing the engine rpm to fluctuate.
A larger alternator is liable to make it even more noticeable.
A larger capacity battery and heavier wiring from the battery to the load will be more likely to reduce the surging or just increase the engine rpm a bit.

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #9  
Might see if you can get a larger pulley for your current alternator.

/ Mahindra 5010 cab need heavy duty alternator #10  
You can put a big 12v DC capacitor on the sprayer to take the startup surge out. A bigger battery would help too if you can fit one. But it kinda sounds like your alternator might be getting weak.
Never see an alternator get 'weak' They either output the required amps and voltage or they expire and it's usually the diode bridge that fails or a bearing.