Mahindra 6000 PTO won't engage

/ Mahindra 6000 PTO won't engage #1  

AlfaBrewer

Tractor
Mahindra 6000
For starters, the only implement I generally run off the PTO is a 6' shredder. We've owned this 6000 for several years (purchased used). During that time, the PTO has occasionally disengaged seemingly randomly. Sometimes you could run for hours without issue, other times, it would disengage every few minutes. We recently purchased and began using a TurboSaw to help clear the mesquite and cedar elms that are doing their best to take over the pastures.

A few weeks ago, the PTO became much harder to get engaged, and disengages after just a minute or 2 of use. When I try to engage the PTO, I generally get a sound like gears are grinding. I don't have issue getting the tractor in gear for driving, just engaging the PTO. If I disconnect the implement's PTO shaft from the tractor, it engages easily and runs happily. Once I attach the PTO shaft, the issue comes back.

My guess is either the PTO clutch (assuming it has a stand alone PTO clutch) is worn out, or the PTO shaft is out of alignment with the transmission. Before I take it in for repair, I'd like to see if there's any other suggestions that I might be able to check on my own.

Thanks.