Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to)

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #1  

MatHaas

Silver Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 3550 PST
Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to)

So I picked up a left over 2016 Mahindra 3550 PST a few weeks back.
tractor1 new.JPG

And in the process, I managed to find a used Bradco 509 backhoe (aka a Mahindra 75B) locally for only $3000.
backhoe01 as-is.JPG

The seller mentioned the backhoe leaked some fluid but I wasn't too concerned about the repair. So once I fabricated the subframe mounting system to fit my 3550, I hooked up the 509 and found the leaks. The spool valves were leaking and possibly one of the upper check plugs or port reliefs.

Here's you can see the spool positioner assemblies (bottom plastic covers) leaking:
backhoe31 spool valves leaking.JPG

Here's a stock photo of the spool valve assembly:
spool valve diagram.png

and here is the entire hydraulic valve assembly on the hoe with the cover removed:
backhoe32 control vavle on hoe.JPG

So i started by labeling all of the ports and associated hoses. I labeled 1-7 across the top from left to right. And 8-14 across the bottom.
backhoe33 disconnecting lines.JPG

With that done, 3 bolts held the assembly to the frame, which you can see where I put them back in. This thing is HEAVY
backhoe34 valve assembly removed.jpg

I got it inside on the work bench, removed the first control handle and brackets, removed the four 3/16" allen bolts holding the spool positioner assembly (bottom plastic cover) on and pulled the valves out.
backhoe35 spool valves removed.JPG

From the bottom - up, You have the spring assembly which is bolted to the spool valve, then a gold cover washer, a silver washer, & then the sealing o'ring. The valve then slides up inside from the bottom. (I put the bottom plastic cover back on then; 10ft lbs) and then you work from the top, with a sealing o'ring, a silver washer, and a gold cover washer. Then the top bracket would be put back on (3/16" allen bolts at 10 ft lbs)

Those brown o'rings are the ones that tear and leak; spool valve seals. 4 out of the 6 lower ones were tore on mine. You can buy the spool seal kit from bradco/paladin PN 45652 for the cheapest online at Ford distributing for $30 plus shipping. It comes with a top and bottom o'ring, silver washer and gold washer. One kit for each spool valve so you're looking at 6 kits total. I wasn't about to pay that.

I used the dial caliper, and measured them at 1" OD, 0.75" ID, 0.125" thick. I also pulled the entire check plugs and/or port reliefs (the large 1.125" socket nut, not the smaller inner one) for each valve assembly (since the one of the top ones was leaking) and measured up the larger outer o'ring also; i forget off hand but pretty sure they were 1" OD, 0.8125" (13/16) ID, 0.9375" (3/32) thick.

I ran to a local hydraulic shop (a common place that has a bunch of assorted o'rings in stock), bought the o'rings (2 o'rings per spool valve and 2 o'rings for top/bottom check plugs/relief ports; for each of the 6 valves). So 24 o'rings total. Costing me $31 out the door. Couldn't beat that.

here you can see a check plug and relief port pulled, noting the spring, ball and other little pin in there.
backhoe37 check plug and relief ports removed.JPG

best way to pull these is with the entire assembly vertical and you're pulling the plug/relief up, so everything stays inside and you can see it. And this is the easiest method when reassembling (i used a small slightly magnetic screwdriver to set them back down in and hold it in place with my finger).

Up close pic of the plugs (going back in, they get torqued at 20 ft lbs; they're 1.125" socket)
backhoe36 check plugs removed.JPG

I spent a lot of time with a wire brush and wire wheel on a drill to get all of the rust cleared up, without getting it inside of anything. some scraping with a screwdriver too.
backhoe38 rust before and after.jpg

Anyway, i did each valve set one a time. pull out the valve, greased up the new oring, cleaned the old washers (wire wheel), and put it back together. I will note 3-4 of the bottom washers were deformed a bit from the spring action on them. I massaged them back to shape with a hammer and swapped them out with the top washers.

A few hours of cleaning. A few hours of assembly. Lots of hydraulic fluid and grease all over. 24 o'rings. And I had it back together
backhoe39 rebuilt, old seals.JPG
backhoe40 valve rebuilt.JPG

Putting it back in hopefully this weekend and see how it all goes.
There is an inline filter that can be pulled and flushed clean on the hoe too that I plan to do.

All in all, this was a fairly straightforward project. Way cheaper alternative to having someone else do it for you, or buying the seal kits.

Hope it helps someone.

And check out my post in the Build It Yourself forum on how i built my backhoe subframe mount too if you're interested.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...bradco-509-tractor-sub-frame.html#post5050502

Thanks,
-Haas
backhoe28 digging dirt.JPG

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #2  
Re: Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to

GREAT JOB!

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to)
   / Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #4  
Re: Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to

Thanks very much for outlining this. Very instructive.

I'm about to do something similar with a Hanmey BHUS-225. May I ask, when you'd put it all back together, how did you test that the relief valve was giving you the right pressure? I think mine's a bit low but hesitate to dissemble the valve from its presumably factory setting ...

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to)

Thanks very much for outlining this. Very instructive.

I'm about to do something similar with a Hanmey BHUS-225. May I ask, when you'd put it all back together, how did you test that the relief valve was giving you the right pressure? I think mine's a bit low but hesitate to dissemble the valve from its presumably factory setting ...

It's been a WHILE since i did the rebuild and that was the first time touching hydraulics. But just browsing back through quickly, pretty sure the reliefs are regulated simply by the springs. Whatever the rating is supposed to be, you should be able to test the spring with such a gauge and confirm it's still good. Just thinking out loud, not 100% sure on that though. I just put it back together and used it. Mine worked as one would expect a hoe to work and digs like mother. So I didn't question anything other than that no more oil was leaking.

Best of luck.
-Haas

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #6  

I know it’s been a while since the initial thread but MatHaas, did you find these o ring sizes to be right and having no leaks? I’m about to do exactly what you’ve done and just making sure.

I know it’s been a while since the initial thread but MatHaas, did you find these o ring sizes to be right and having no leaks? I’m about to do exactly what you’ve done and just making sure.

yep, they're still going, leak free.

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #8  

Update on my end, I found the size o ring in a harbor freight o ring pack ( 1" od, 3/4" id, and 1/8 thick for the spools ) replaced them all and now all are leaking... Top and bottom. I must not have done the math correctly. Going to go to a hydraulic shop and see if they can match the ones I pulled out.

Update on my end, I found the size o ring in a harbor freight o ring pack ( 1" od, 3/4" id, and 1/8 thick for the spools ) replaced them all and now all are leaking... Top and bottom. I must not have done the math correctly. Going to go to a hydraulic shop and see if they can match the ones I pulled out.

Lol sorry to hear. You should have bought a digit caliper instead and measured your o-rings. Or take them to a hydraulic shop where an expert can size them properly (accounting for wear, etc).

It's been a long time since i did this, but re-read that there are 2 different sized o-rings; not sure which part you're working on. Nothing will compare to a Viton o-ring from a legit hydraulic shop, i'd rather spend $31 and keep the thing together forever. I had no issues myself.

Best of luck.

/ Mahindra 75B / Bradco 509 Backhoe Spool Valve Seal Leaking & Replacement (how to) #10  

Lol sorry to hear. You should have bought a digit caliper instead and measured your o-rings. Or take them to a hydraulic shop where an expert can size them properly (accounting for wear, etc).

It's been a long time since i did this, but re-read that there are 2 different sized o-rings; not sure which part you're working on. Nothing will compare to a Viton o-ring from a legit hydraulic shop, i'd rather spend $31 and keep the thing together forever. I had no issues myself.

Best of luck.

Yep, something about hindsight. I知 kicking myself in the butt. Should have had a hydraulic shop size them for me. Good news is that getting the control body out isn稚 that difficult. I replaced the o rings in my dozer a couple of years ago and it required hoists boards etc. just to get that heavy thing out.