Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half...

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #2  
A friend went to sell his house and shop and found out he had built his shop partly on his neighbours property. Funny, looks similar to the one in this picture. Eager to get out of town and their (what he thought) invasive government, so he could move up north, he just demolished the whole thing and sold just his house, taking the hit for less money and demolition.

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #3  
I thought about adverse possession, but in Maine, the paying of land taxes is part of the process. Only constant is death and taxes. (sigh) :(

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #4  
A house and driveway near me was apparently built on the line. The map used to show the line going through the house. Now it goes around the house and driveway. The neighbors must have worked it out without saws.

Bruce

property-line-change.jpg

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #5  
Sounds like something my neighbor to the left would do. Whereas, the neighbor to the right and I say, "what liine?".

Ralph

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #6  
Interesting...hmmm.

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #7  
I read that last weekend, and thought about posting it but didn't. In older subdivisions I believe that was relatively common.

I did a mortgage inspection years ago and the information provided by the title company included a survey plat which clearly showed that the house was several feet on the abutter's property.
We sent it back, and suggested that they give it to the company which had done the survey. I'm not sure how it worked out... the property involved was being refinanced because it was about to go into foreclosure.

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #8  
Hopefully they didn稚 cut the garage based on a mortgage inspection. The standards vary by state but as a rule you do not have to find or set property pins. I got my surveyors license in 1992 and have yet to do one. They can be done correctly but often are not.

This happened not to long ago, I can not remember where, but it was some kind of local government built a building on the adjoiner. I assume the adjoiner wanted more money to fix it than they were willing to give. They cut a slot through the building, built a fence down the line, and left this little sliver of the building on the adjoiner.

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #9  
^^^
If you read the article you will see that this was the culmination of a dispute which started after the original owner died. There were two different surveys done, and both determined that the garage straddled the line. He made his dissection based on those surveys.

/ Maine man saws neighbor's garage in half... #10  
Interesting situation. My understanding is a survey doesn稚 really establish the property line but is really just one tool in the process. If the garage has been there a while, and the article says it has, the neighbor could possibly claim ownership of the property. I bet if you lock 20 lawyers in a room you can稚 get an agreement on how this settles if it goes to court.