Make your own Sunshade for under $50

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
I have a few Kubotas with sunshades which cost around $400 apiece. I recently was diagnosed with a probably sun related cancer on my nose so sun avoidance is important to me along with light sensitivity vision issues. I let a family member keep the sunshade on the small Z mower I sold them so needed a sun shade for the new L3901. Checked for pricing and durability and opinions of other sunshade owners and decided to just build my own which has to be easily removed by myself for using the tractor in the woods. This is what I built and it's better, lighter and easier to remove than I expected and even a bit cheaper. It cost less than $50 to build.
I had built one a few years ago which worked but was ugly with a capital U and would slide around and did I say Ugly? Decided to give this build a bit more effort, support and appearance.
Rather than try and repost pics I'll add link to my original post seeking input which has the pics. I will do a bit more cleanup and then try and sell them. :D:laughing::laughing: Or sell detailed plan to build for a few bucks or tell you on line (here) for free which is my preference. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sunshade-experience-anyone-2.html#post4802601

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #2  
Oh, I like that. Looks to quick and rather easy to make. Not only keeps the sun off, but would help when those quick Summer showers come through, and you just want to get that last thing done... Thanks for the pictures. That really helps! :)

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50
DSCF3325.JPGDSCF3324.JPGDSCF3326.JPGDSCF3325.JPGDSCF3324.JPGDSCF3326.JPGBought a BX2370-1 this week so I'm seeing another self made sunshade with maybe a few more refinements in the my near future. Sun is shining bright in Ky. :D:cool2:

Last edited:
   / Make your own Sunshade for under $50
More pics.DSCF3335.JPGDSCF3334.JPGDSCF3333.JPGDSCF3332.JPGDSCF3331.JPGDSCF3330.JPGDSCF3329.JPGDSCF3335.JPGDSCF3334.JPGDSCF3333.JPGDSCF3332.JPGDSCF3331.JPGDSCF3330.JPGDSCF3329.JPG

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #5  
   / Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #6  
Years ago I made a cover for my 2550 and it has been there for many years. I made it out of 2.5" galvaneal exhaust pipe. It attaches to the ROPS with U bolts.

I took a piece of thin rod material and layed it against my ROPS front edge as it comes up. I then bent the rod to the desired angle I wanted to come forward with the cover. I had a muffler shop bend two of these pieces, one for each side matching this bend. Maybe 18" down the ROPS and 48" forward. I then had the shop bend two 90 degree bends with flared to accept the 2.5" pipe.

I purchased about 4' of the tubing and came home with all the pieces.

I attached the two uprights with the 90 degree bends to the ROPS with the four U bolts. I then figured out how far I wanted to come forward and cut a section. I next attached the two 90 degree bends and I figured out how long I needed the piece to be for the front. I spot welded the whole assembly and then took it off the tractor and completely welded the joints. I followed that with a thin piece of sheet metal welding it to the assembly.

I have a large mirror and lights mounted to the cover and I have no piece dropping down to connect to the loader frame.

I followed with a coat of silver reflective paint on the top and gloss black for the rest.

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #7  
This is even cheaper. Clamp a long and short piece of 2x4 onto the ROPS with 1/4" carriage bolts and buy a $8 umbrella and cut it off and drill two holes in it for push pins. Cheap shade and easy to take off.
2prz50k.jpg

/ Make your own Sunshade for under $50 #8  
This is even cheaper. Clamp a long and short piece of 2x4 onto the ROPS with 1/4" carriage bolts and buy a $8 umbrella and cut it off and drill two holes in it for push pins. Cheap shade and easy to take off.
2prz50k.jpg

Now, That I like!

Even color coordinated! Nice job!